Goose: small bloody wound under wing on back - update

chickabella

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 19, 2008
Central Texas
Noticed a little bit of blood coming out from under the wing/back feathers of one of our ganders this morning. The deeper we looked under his feathers, the bigger the bloody mess (and of course, this happens on a Sunday, when the avian vet is closed). Cleaned it out by spraying with sterilized water, and dabbed a bit of anti-bacterial ointment for the meantime. The wound is smaller than a thumbnail, was mostly scabbed over, and the bird didn't seem to be bothered by it. Am providing the picture below.

Is this a vet-worthy wound, or is this something common that we can take care of ourselves? My google-fu is weak, or I just don't know the term to use for research of what this might be. Sorry that the image is a wee bit blurry, had to use my camera phone:

goose_wound.jpg

Last edited:
A reader on my personal blog opined that the wound might be a broken blood feather. If so, the remnant of the feather would need to be removed, or else the goose might continue to bleed out.

As Billy-Bob (the goose) looked to still be bleeding as of Monday night, I took him into the vet on Tuesday. The bleeding had stopped by then (of course!), and the vet said it looked to be a puncture wound. Guessing it was either an encounter with a raw fence edge, or rough play with one of the LGD pups.

I've been given oral antibiotics to administer once daily for five days to ward off any chances of infection. Otherwise, Billy-Bob is hale and hearty, with a big appetite and his typical cranky goose attitude.

FYI.

Back
Top Bottom