Goose treats

Discussion in 'Geese' started by 2dancingrats, Oct 21, 2009.

1. 2dancingrats

2dancingrats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2009
    Bay City, Michigan
    What kind of treats do your geese eat? My ducks love earthworms. The geese will eat them, but not with enough enthusiasm to keep the ducks from snatching them away. Don't they need some protien? What do you feed yours? Thanks.

1 person likes this.
  2. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    Geese are Vegan, and really rarely eat bugs. Mine never do. My geese love apples and pears (I have windfalls), all lettuces, cabbage, collards, pumpkins and squash, corn on the cob, Asian greens (except mustards), oats, sunflower seeds, cooked brown rice, and peas. In the winter I use thawed frozen peas a lot because they're
    inexpensive and easy. Of course, my geese love bread the MOST, but since I'll only give them small amounts of good quality whole grain bread they don't get it often. I sometimes bake them a pan of corn bread. They also will eat carrots and sweet potatoes in the winter.

3. 2dancingrats

2dancingrats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2009
    Bay City, Michigan
    Thanks. I don't know where I got the idea that geese were not vegans. Truthfully though, my geese won't eat any bread of any kind unless they are absolutely starved. I will try some other fruits and veggies. I know they love romaine lettuce and hate mustard greens. Their all time favorite is dandelion, but its not readily available at this time of year. Just learned that chickens love pumpkin too. Guess its off to the pumpkin patch for me! Thank you.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by