Goose trouble-Another goose question šŸ˜Š

Feb 17, 2021
Somewhere down in Texas
So 2 weeks ago today I received my very first goslings from Metzer farms. 2 Roman goslings. They were healthy and happy for about a week, when one gosling started picking feathers off the chicks. I separated him, and the chicks were happy again. We had to leave for 2 days, so we brought the gosling, Daffy with us. My dog got ahold of Daffy :( and now my gosling Donald is lonely, but he is living with my bantam chicks in the brooder currently.

I need another goose and I found someone on Craigslist, but the goose is 2 1/2 months old. How old do my chicks need to be to be with the goose if I get him? Also, how long should he be quarantined? I donā€™t know if this matters or not but itā€™s a Pomeranian Goose.
Thanks for any help,
-ChickenWhisperer101

Sorry to hear about your gosling experience. It's great that you have been able to find another friend for Donald; I have two American Buffs, and they are rarely more than a couple of feet away from each other. They are much more bonded than any of my chickens or ducks.

I don't know anything about your goose breeds or how large your chicks are. I know my geese seem like big bullies, but when confronted my a chicken, turn feathered tail and run. So, I can't really address how old the chicks need to be.

I try to quarantine any new birds of any kind for at least a couple of weeks, and ideally, for a month to make sure they aren't going to sicken or kill my flock.

Best wishes for however you decide to handle this situation.

So 2 weeks ago today I received my very first goslings from Metzer farms. 2 Roman goslings. They were healthy and happy for about a week, when one gosling started picking feathers off the chicks. I separated him, and the chicks were happy again. We had to leave for 2 days, so we brought the gosling, Daffy with us. My dog got ahold of Daffy :( and now my gosling Donald is lonely, but he is living with my bantam chicks in the brooder currently.

I need another goose and I found someone on Craigslist, but the goose is 2 1/2 months old. How old do my chicks need to be to be with the goose if I get him? Also, how long should he be quarantined? I donā€™t know if this matters or not but itā€™s a Pomeranian Goose.
Thanks for any help,
-ChickenWhisperer101
I found 18 day old goslings near me and if it didnā€™t work out with shipping I was gonna go get them.

I see youā€™re in Texas so idk whatā€™s going on over there, but up in the northeast I was seeing some goslings that were closer to a month old. The youngest I saw were the 18 day old guys (would have been a four hour trip, though).

maybe keep looking a little longer? Also i got some kind of ā€œgoose insuranceā€ from Metzer when I ordered mine and it says it was good for two years and they would replace one if something bad happened. Maybe try reaching out to the farm and explain what happened and see if they can help you?

I found 18 day old goslings near me and if it didnā€™t work out with shipping I was gonna go get them.

I see youā€™re in Texas so idk whatā€™s going on over there, but up in the northeast I was seeing some goslings that were closer to a month old. The youngest I saw were the 18 day old guys (would have been a four hour trip, though).

maybe keep looking a little longer? Also i got some kind of ā€œgoose insuranceā€ from Metzer when I ordered mine and it says it was good for two years and they would replace one if something bad happened. Maybe try reaching out to the farm and explain what happened and see if they can help

Back
Top Bottom