Goose vs. Incubator?

Hey y’all, my Toulouse goose just started laying and I definitely want some goslings this year. I was wondering if a goose is better at hatching our eggs or if the incubator is the way to go. When I hatched duck eggs, I figured 50% was a good hatch rate. What is the hatch rate for goose eggs? Thanks!
How old is she?

About 5 years old. I have 3 bonded pairs of geese all about the same age. This is the first one to start laying.

I didn’t have them last year. I adopted them from a friend who couldn’t keep them anymore
Thanks! I can't answer your question, but I'm sure it will depend on several factors - fertility of both parents and handling by you and your incubator quality, or the brooder - I mean the broody goose or geese. Probably other stuff too. Sorry I can't be more helpful, I'm learning too! They are old enough to be reproductively competent imho...

I've hatched goose eggs in my incubators for more than a few years; in fact, I have a couple of incubators full right now.:D Goose eggs are more labor-intensive than chicken eggs to incubate, but I think that the extra work makes a difference in how good the hatch ultimately is. I use Pete55's comprehensive hatching guide as a resource, and I follow his misting and cooling schedule.

Hatch rates will vary due to the number of factors involved (like experience level of the broody or person managing the artificial incubation, reliability of incubation equipment, quality of the eggs, etc.). Among the reasons I prefer artificial incubation, I like for goslings to be human-imprinted, especially if there's a potential that I may need to take them away from their mother at some point.

Regardless of which method you choose, best of luck! IMO, goslings may be the most adorable baby poultry.

Hey y’all, my Toulouse goose just started laying and I definitely want some goslings this year. I was wondering if a goose is better at hatching our eggs or if the incubator is the way to go. When I hatched duck eggs, I figured 50% was a good hatch rate. What is the hatch rate for goose eggs? Thanks!
I usually pull the first ten or so and then let them keep them to go broody. I set what I pulled, she sets on what I let her keep and we see who does better. So far, it's been her. I'm hoping for better luck in the incubator this year.
I never had luck hatching goose eggs in a bator but my chocolate wyandottes and silkies hatched them all out lol
How many eggs did you let them have? I have a broody Silver-laced Orpington that just won't give up. I was debating giving her a goose egg. lol

I usually pull the first ten or so and then let them keep them to go broody. I set what I pulled, she sets on what I let her keep and we see who does better. So far, it's been her. I'm hoping for better luck in the incubator this year.

How many eggs did you let them have? I have a broody Silver-laced Orpington that just won't give up. I was debating giving her a goose egg. lol
I had two silkies hatch out 4 and 4 chocolate wyandottes hatch out 3 lol

Back
Top Bottom