Goose with a fatal attraction

Discussion in 'Geese' started by hefalumpmom, Feb 7, 2013.

1. hefalumpmom

hefalumpmom Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2012
    Missouri
    Last spring I bought 2 Rouans as chicks who happened to be male and female. Later in summer I decided to get a goose (Embden) to be a watch dog for the two ducks. The hatchery said I needed to get him a friend or two to be raised with, so I got a Swedish black and a Swedish blue ducks. All happened to be male. The five of them run around in their thuggish little gang. Except for now my goose seems to have decided that I'm his girl. He follows me around like a dog. If he is up at the pond and hears my voice, he comes honking, running, flying to me. Problem is, he also attacks the dogs to keep them away from me. I tell him "NO", and he will usually break off an attack. Sometimes I do have to physically stop him though. The last couple of days, he has actually followed me up the steps to the front porch and gone after the dogs there. I had to put him in his pen for a Time Out. I didn't really want a pair of geese because I have seen how aggressive they can get at nesting time. And reading some of the posts it looks like just getting him a girl may not work. Any good suggestions? The dogs aren't going to put up with this behavior for long, especially if he is going to attack them on their porch!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    you need a long flexible pole of some kind, my dh found me a long piece of plastic molding cheap stuff anyway take it with you when outside and use it to keep your gander with in arms length of you and your dogs. you can tap him with the pole but it may not be necessary I use it on both of my geese to keep them from going after our dogs and it works to keep the gander from getting hateful with me. I just stick the pole out between them and the dogs or me and the gander and say NO or back off that's usually all that's needed. Someone said they need to recognize us as #1 and dogs as #2 then they come in #3. let us know how it goes, And I had my gander for over 5 yrs before i got him a goose friend, he lived with ducks [hatched by one] and I can tell you I am very happy I finally got him one of his own kind. Yes they get hateful when mating season comes around but it can be controlled but to see how happy he is to have a friend is priceless. Let us know how it goes
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/561849/geese-training

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  3. hefalumpmom

Nov 10, 2012
    Missouri
    Thank you! I am glad to hear that you successfully found your gander a friend. Reading another thread I was discouraged that this would work. We use a small rake to herd him (and all the other fowl). I can pet him, move him, and even pick him up without issue. The dogs have been amazingly tolerant of his antics, but they are all much bigger and I fear won't for long!

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    No they won't one of my dogs took all she could and attacked through the dog door so all she got was a mouth full of feathers but when i saw all the feathers in the house I just knew my gander was mortally wounded.

5. hefalumpmom

Nov 10, 2012
    Missouri
    I am so sorry about your gander. I will keep up with the manners lessons. Putting him in time out today seemed to work. I am sure I will have to do it on a regular basis!

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    They are fast learners, just need a little reminder once in a while. Especially when it comes to the dogs. [​IMG] keep us updated on progress.

7. hefalumpmom

Nov 10, 2012
    Missouri
    My gander is coming along with his training, and the dogs are learning to give him a wide berth. He has never been aggressive towards me. He even enjoys getting pets. I don't allow him to nibble me either. I learned from a duck that I had as a kid that those nibbles can turn to nips and eventually a good pinch. He follows me everywhere and often attempts to go after the dogs when he feels they are too close or too rowdy. However, he will usually stop if I tell him "NO". I have only had to put him in time out a few times--mostly because he gets a little too "frisky". I am still on the fence about getting a mate. I think we will see how this spring goes. I wouldn't get a goose until the summer anyway.
    [​IMG]

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Great news, and He will be much happier if he had one of his own kind to be with. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. Going Bhonkers

Going Bhonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    SW Florida
    He doesn't necessarily need "a mate" for companion, another male goose would be ok. He just needs another buddy of the same species.
    But if you're looking to get a young goose (or gosling), they usually hatch in the spring.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by