Goose with bb gun wound in the neck

Nellytheduck

Chirping
Aug 23, 2021
Yesterday, my flock came home from their daily exploring around the creek behind my property bit early. My embden was covered in blood from wiping her neck all over her body. I quickly found the source of blood to be a hole in the side of her neck (photo) and a small, much less bloody protrusion on the other side of the hole. I've sprayed it down with Theracyn a few times and will keep doing so twice a day. I don't think the bullet is visible but the skin around it is getting worse, like her body is trying to push it out. There is a tiny growing mass of flesh on the other side on the hole.

Should I try to remove the bullet since it's probably close to the surface? Should I trim the feathers around the area to aid in healing? I'm worried about infection along the length of her neck since I can only spray the surface. What do I do??? How long until she dies or until I'm in the clear with an injury like this??

Also, we are building a fence. She is 3 months old so was definitely not aggressing anyone since she's scared of everything still.

Update with more photos.

She's eating drinking and talking like nothing's wrong. She isn't in shock for sure. There isn't a lot to see in regards to the wounds as you might imagine considering it being a bullet. The photo with the feathers covering more of the wound are on the side where the bullet must be lodged. This was barely visible yesterday, it was only a bump in her skin.

Attachments

• Snapchat-871959801.jpg
    Snapchat-871959801.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 30
  • PXL_20220331_204403132.jpg
    PXL_20220331_204403132.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 11
  • PXL_20220331_204256734.jpg
    PXL_20220331_204256734.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I don't see how you cannot handle her, especially if your thinking of trying to get the BB out. The wound needs looked at closely too and treated. How are you spraying it if your not handling her? if you don't feel comfortable plucking then clip the feather away from the wound. When I have to treat one of my geese I hold them between my legs so they can't get away. Maybe you can get help to hold her while you treat.
That's awful someone would do that, I'd say it's best to keep them away from that area.

I don't see how you cannot handle her, especially if your thinking of trying to get the BB out. The wound needs looked at closely too and treated. How are you spraying it if your not handling her? if you don't feel comfortable plucking then clip the feather away from the wound. When I have to treat one of my geese I hold them between my legs so they can't get away. Maybe you can get help to hold her while you treat.
That's awful someone would do that, I'd say it's best to keep them away from that area.
I can handle her, there's just a lot of chasing and a bit of fighting involved. I'll pluck and post a photo. And yeah, it's terrible. I'm sitting at home thinking I should knock on some doors and see if anyone knows anything. The shooter would have had to been in their backyard watching the woods 200ft+ from where my ducks and geese go.

Yesterday, my flock came home from their daily exploring around the creek behind my property bit early. My embden was covered in blood from wiping her neck all over her body. I quickly found the source of blood to be a hole in the side of her neck (photo) and a small, much less bloody protrusion on the other side of the hole. I've sprayed it down with Theracyn a few times and will keep doing so twice a day. I don't think the bullet is visible but the skin around it is getting worse, like her body is trying to push it out. There is a tiny growing mass of flesh on the other side on the hole.

Should I try to remove the bullet since it's probably close to the surface? Should I trim the feathers around the area to aid in healing? I'm worried about infection along the length of her neck since I can only spray the surface. What do I do??? How long until she dies or until I'm in the clear with an injury like this??

Also, we are building a fence. She is 3 months old so was definitely not aggressing anyone since she's scared of everything still.
Horrifying that someone would do that. I hope she'll be okay

Back
Top Bottom