Goose with bum leg better, supplements given

Discussion in 'Geese' started by spud1035, Sep 20, 2012.

1. spud1035

spud1035 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2009
    nw ohio
    I am new to geese, have a 5-7year history with chickens and ducks. I sneaked in a couple of day old pilgrams on my wife this spring and she hasn't divorced yet. I have really enjoyed them but my male limped a bit about a month ago and seemed to get better and a couple of weeks ago got much worse. I didn't know if I was going to have to put him down cause he wasn't getting around well and would get himself into situations he couldn't get himself out of. I did some research and found out that ducks and geese need niacin and selenium. I found out that brewers yeast contains both so I started to sprinkle a teaspoon on their feed daily and in about a weeks time his limping stopped. I'm not sure that is what got him better but that was the only thing I did different. My game feed has niacin and they free range all day so I wasn't sure why just one bird was having problems. I will post pics of my pride in joys soon to share with you. Just thought I'd share this everyone here on BYC.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Thanks for sharing, it seems some need it more than others, great that you got on it quick and he is doing good. and yes Pics please love the pilgrims.

3. Tivona

Tivona Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    Thanks for posting about this. People need to know. I know awhile back maybe a year ago I had to search for this because of my first goose. I have to add niacin in a lower dose for her all the time (by lower I mean less then for when you raise ducklings or goslings for the first few weeks). She just seems to need more. Her legs have straightened out and she seems to be only okay if I keep adding it. If I stop then the problems with her getting all bow legged and clumsy happen again. Most I guess out grow it but not all I guess.

4. spud1035

spud1035 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2009
    nw ohio
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are some pics of Perry and Priscilla. They are quite noisy and nosey when I am outside. When I sit in the grass they will come up to me and eat grass out of my hand. When I stop they will pic at the hair on my arms and try to eat my clothes. Can't wait to see how they act come next spring when they get protective. I heard geese are not very fertile their first year of laying but sure would like to have some babies from em.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Pretty geese. I'll probably give my goose some Muscovy eggs to sit on if she gets broody since she will be a year old next April.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by