Goose with large lump on wing (photos)

eggchel

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Dec 26, 2006
Both Coasts
One of my pretty little sebastopol geese started limping a couple weeks ago. I looked at her foot and leg but didnt see anything wrong so I just kept a close eye on her. By last week, her she was clearly struggling to walk at all. I separated her from the other geese by putting her in the duck's night pen. I again examined her leg and foot and could find nothing wrong with it.

Soon, I noticed that her wing on that side was hanging quite low. After pushing all her fluffy curly feathers out of the way, I could see that she has a huge lump (the size of half an apple) on the joint of her wing "elbow".

Could this be a tumor?

I cannot imagine how this lump on her wing is keeping her from walking, but she is now barely using the leg on that side. I have felt all the way up the leg to the hip joint and dont feel any lumps, however my dd thought that that leg felt kind of limp in comparison to the other leg.

Has anybody seen something like this before? I dont want to cull her, but I dont want her to suffer if there is no chance of recovery.
Note: There are no farm/poultry vets in my area.

Here are two photos of the lump. It is quite solid although I didnt press on it very much for fear of hurting her.

100_5062.jpg

100_5063.jpg

In this photo from the front, Ive pulled her cape of feathers forward so that you can see where the lump is in relationship to her wing and shoulder.
100_5070.jpg

Here you can see how she is dragging her wing.
100_5071.jpg

Is there an injury point like a thorn hole or something. Looks like when my horse hit a thorn tree with her knee, swelled up just like it. Don't know what to tell you but it does appear like that . Is it hard or soft like infection.

Quote:
It doesnt feel hot or fevered.

Quote:
I didnt see an injury point and it is rather hard.

Quote:
The lump is directly over the elbow joint as far as I can tell. Ill go look again.

If it's right on the joint, it could be some form of infectious arthritic thing. I guess you would have to try and lance it and see if it drains puss, blood or clear fluid. The only other thing would be a break or injury near the joint. I guess it wouldn't hurt to start it on some penicillin.

Thanks guys. Im going to inspect it more closely in the morning when my dd is here to help me.

I will check the following:
1) Look closely to see if it could be an ingrown feather.
2) Check to see how hard vs soft it is and whether it feels like it might have fluid or pus inside.
3) Feel to see where it is in relationship to the joint and whether or not the joint still works.

I do recall the the underside of the upper wing felt kind of weird. I will try to get a better look at it if I can do so without inflicting too much pain.

Thanks again.

Chel

Back
Top Bottom