LooperFarm

In the Brooder
May 14, 2019
Hey all. Yesterday I went out to feed my goose and noticed that she was stumbling around as if drunk. Once I caught her, I noticed two small puncture wounds on her chest. She is unable to keep her balance and often falls over. She refused to lay down at all the first day and continued to crash when her legs got tired. Today she is laying down in a separated container in my garage away from the other girls, and drinking the water I made for her with electrolytes and brewers yeast. Today is day 2 and she is not yet eating, not even meal worms or Cheerios (her favorites). I noticed today that she won’t stretch her neck out and after looking up symptoms of wry neck, I am convinced she could have it. Everything I’ve found talks about giving them vitamins to help with the issue of younger poultry, but because this is a recent development and not something she has always had, I need some help and guidance as to what steps to take next!!! If anyone has any experience with this or knows of possible treatments please let me know ASAP! Maybe her neck is just sore, but I need the opinion of someone who knows geese better than I do. Please and thank you bunches!

Attachments

• 00CF47B1-70C8-476D-863D-3CD460A88B9B.jpeg
    00CF47B1-70C8-476D-863D-3CD460A88B9B.jpeg
    545.8 KB · Views: 90
  • 515EAAD8-79EA-43D0-BA7F-15E01083A7B6.jpeg
    515EAAD8-79EA-43D0-BA7F-15E01083A7B6.jpeg
    657.9 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Welcome to BYC!
Since she has two puncture wounds she might have more extensive injuries elsewhere. Can you take her to a vet? If not, I would start by carefully plucking the feathers around her wounds and check the rest of her body.

If you really want to treat to wry neck you could try giving her some vitamin b complex for cattle, it has the niacin needed to treat wry neck caused by thiamine deficiency.

Thank you for responding. Unfortunately with our distance, we don’t have access to a vet that is willing to treat birds. So far I have trimmed feathers back away from the area and applied antibacterial spray and Neosporin a few times daily. After a little research since there is not much posted about geese in general that I could find about neck injuries, I assumed wry neck due to her inability to hold her balance, the way she held her neck and her unwillingness to eat. She’s drinking water, but unwilling to eat at this point (which is very worrisome). If it is not wry neck or potentially something else, do you know of any other treatments for a neck injury on geese or ways to get them interested in food again? Currently I have some duckling crumble, grass, mealworms, and Cheerios in her pen but no such luck yet.

Back
Top Bottom