Goose

Discussion in 'Geese' started by DorthyBrahma, Oct 6, 2012.

1. DorthyBrahma

DorthyBrahma Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2012
    I have a goose. Geese are great for protecting flocks of chickens. But lately I've been having trouble with my goose.
    She has been attacking me, but not my brothers or my dad. I do have on question tho. What does it mean when a goose's head vibrate? She vibrates her head before she chases me (or attack). I raised her from a baby and she was sweet. Now she's EVIL!!!!! Please answer if you know why! :) ~Rachel
    ( I would put a picture but I dont have so i'll put a picture of her on later!)

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    My gander does the head vibrating thing when he is excited. This doesn't sound like a goose you have more like a gander. Do you know for sure gender? DO NOT run from your goose, stand your ground get a good water gun the kind that sprays hard and fast and carry it with you when the goose starts acting like it is going to attack get it good right in the face being careful not to spray directly into the eyes, or chest, surprise is the element your after garden hose with a sprayer works well too. . stand up big and tall and look bigger than it, throw your arms out to you side and charge if you have to, keep a broom with you to keep the goose at arms length, don't hit the goose but use the broom to push it away if it comes at you like it's going to bite or attack you. Make the goose get out of your way when your walkiing towards it. Don't go out of your way. You have got to convince your goose that you are the boss not her/him.Most geese are chickens and if you become the dominant one it will back down and respect you.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  3. The goose girl

The goose girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Denmark
    Both geese and ganders do the neck vibration thing when they're nervous or apprehensive. Anything new or seemingly scary may trigger that reaction. When they're young, they usually back away from things or people who make them uncomfortable. As they grow older, they'll start attacking instead.

You raised her from a baby, so either she's reacting to something new you do or wear, or she's growing old enough to act out on something that may have been bothering her for a longer time. Every time she sees you and attacks you it will enforce her belief that you're somehow dangerous, so it may take a long time for her to overcome her fear.

My recently deceased goose hated when I wore a certain hat. It never got to the point when she would attack me because I quickly put the hat in my pocket, but she hissed and ruffled her feathers. It only happened a few times, but it took her a couple of minutes to feel safe around me again. I'm sure that if I had continued wearing the hat, she would eventually have attacked me.

Geese are not great thinkers. If a familiar person approaches them wearing a frightful hat, their minds are unable to distinguish between the two. They'll find that person+hat=threat and act accordingly. If it goes on for a while, both the person alone and the hat alone will be perceived as threats.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  4. Gomes Bantams

Gomes Bantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes i know it attacks YOU rachel. Just stand your ground!

5. DorthyBrahma

Mar 19, 2012
    [​IMG]

Baby Pickles.....

6. DorthyBrahma

Mar 19, 2012
    [​IMG]
    Old and evil Pickles...

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    How old is old?

8. Gomes Bantams

she is about a year. not that old!

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    So I take you 2 know each other? and she is deff at goose not a gander?

10. Gomes Bantams

We're siblings. Im the oldest. she is a goose, not a gander.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by