Gorgeous blue ckicks out of BR & EE

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by La_TomboyGirl, Mar 14, 2011.

1. La_TomboyGirl

La_TomboyGirl Songster

Jun 24, 2008
    NW Louisiana
    Hi. My friend has a beautiful light-colored EE roo with bright & splashy red & blue markings that is the daddy to 2 new chicks out of a barred rock's eggs. Both of the chicks were a lovely blue & lo & behold, they are feathering out in a nice, even medium blue so far @ a week old. So, my question is, is it just a fluke that both of these are like this, or could I expect more of these from future hatchings? The dad does not really have a large amount of blue on him, maybe 15%, & the red makes up about 20% of his color , & it is a very bright, fiery red. The rest is white. Is the color due mainly to the dark color of the BR mom? What color eggs could we expect from these should they be hens? I was thinking olive? She also has 1 light peachy-colored EE hen that lays medium-toned olive eggs, from which I have hatched 3 chicks- 2 pullets & a roo, & they are fathered by the same EE roo. They are now 4 months old, & of course, no eggs as of yet, but any suggestions on breeding these to each other or back to mom or dad, or to a BR in order to get some lovely blue-feathered olive-eggers? [​IMG] The young roo has the coloring of daddy, but is actually way more colorful, with about 30% bright red patches & lacing & 25% blue splashes, the rest being white. One pullet looks just like her peachy mama, the other is a paler version of that, but her head is a soft blue. To to it all off, the new chicks were hatched by surrogate mom - a broody, attention-loving Ideal 236! LOL. Any ideas/ suggestions appreciated. [​IMG] Ps- I will try to get pics of them when I go over there tomorrow. Thanks to all!

2. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Songster

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    Congrats, it's a girl! A non-barred rooster over a barred hen will give you sex-linked chicks. The females will be solid (usually black, but since you have a blue, sounds like possibly splash, based rooster they're blue instead of black) and the males will be barred. Since both your chicks seem to be feathering in solid, they are female. They should lay green eggs, probably a light olive shade but not really "olive eggers." Olive eggers are a cross between a blue/green egg layer and a dark brown egg layer (most commonly marans or welsummers).

3. La_TomboyGirl

La_TomboyGirl Songster

Jun 24, 2008
    NW Louisiana
    Awesome news! Thank you! I was thinking that the sex-link barring may apply, but wasn't sure because of the unknown color ancestry of the male...wasn't sure if that'd affect it or not. I know the eggs won't be that superdark, rich olive color, but am still holding out hope that they will be some shade of olive or greenish brown. The EE hen (whom I believe is the roo's sister) already lays a medium-toned olive egg, which I'll post pics of a bit later, & I'll try to get pics of the birds if the rain lets up so y'all can see exactly what I'm talking about. What would be the best way to go about adding in Marans or Wellies egg color & keep the blue feathering? Hmmmm. Thank you for your help. [​IMG]

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Blue is dominant, so just as long as you've got some blue female EE's available, you can cross them with whatever dark layer and you'll still get 50% chance of a blue olive egger. [​IMG]

5. Medicine Man

Medicine Man Songster

Nov 21, 2010
    Apple Hill
    I don't see any photos.

6. La_TomboyGirl

La_TomboyGirl Songster

Jun 24, 2008
    NW Louisiana
    I'm sorry. I wasn't able to get the pics today, but will try to get them on tomorrow. Thanks for the info on the blue dominant gene & adding in the marans![​IMG]

7. La_TomboyGirl

La_TomboyGirl Songster

Jun 24, 2008
    NW Louisiana
    Ok, thanks for your patience, y'all. The weather cleared up & I was able to get some pics for your viewing pleasure. Lol.

This is the Daddy EE, "Fabio"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is Fabio with the mama BR, "Checkers", & the EE hen (possibly sister?) that lays olive eggs, "Peach"

[​IMG]

These are the sweet lil blue EE/Br cross chicks, "Filet" & "Shadow"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are the eggs from the parent stock (green egg from roo's sis?) The brown is the Br's egg like the ones they hatched from. The white is just for a point of reference on the depth of color. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will get pics of the 3 offspring of the 2 EE's shown later today when I go home. Thanks for all your input. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  8. La_TomboyGirl

La_TomboyGirl Songster

Jun 24, 2008
    NW Louisiana
    Hey guys...I got the pics. [​IMG]

9. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    very nice parents and cute chicks.

we are hoping to get same thing, we have a splash ameraucana roo over 1 blue rock and 3 barred rock hens. thanks for the pictures!

10. caboose1

caboose1 Hatching

Apr 6, 2010
    Shreveport
    These are very beautiful birds. What great names they have! LOL Your photographs are great. I can't wait to see the photos of the three older hatchlings from the roo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: