Gorgeous but we do not know what she is, can someone help??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by TXCountryGal, May 16, 2010.

1. TXCountryGal

TXCountryGal Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2010
    We aquirred this beauty yesterday with the 3 geese she is a surrogate mother of. BUT we don't know what she is....HELP please!

[​IMG]

Thanks,
    Christine

Last edited: May 16, 2010
  2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Wheaten colouring. Looks sort of like a japanese (due to tail angle), but definitely PQ if that is what she is. More likely some sort of gamefowl. How large a bird? I can't tell the comb type from the photo?

3. TXCountryGal

May 12, 2010
    She is about 3 or 4 pounds, her comb was previously damaged. When we get to close to her with the babies she fluffs all her feathers out and her tail opens up into what looks like a "fan".

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Does she look like she has a single comb or a pea comb? THe more I look at her the more I think she looks like american game, but I am NOT at all an expert on them. She is concerned that you are a threat to her babies, and is protecting them. Give her and them treats from your hand, and always be gnetle with the babies and you will win her over.

5. TXCountryGal

May 12, 2010
    She has a single comb. We are slowly working with her, I do not want to stress her or the babies. I gave her some treats earlier, she was being kept in a small wire dog crate with the babies and really had no room to get up and move around. We have her and the babies out in a fenced area for our other chickens, but have them seperated since she is really aggressive right now. Thank you for all your help!! [​IMG]

Christine

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by