Gorgeous George has a bad foot... not sure what to do...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HopeK, Oct 14, 2013.

1. HopeK

HopeK New Egg

Sep 5, 2013
    Neebing, Ontario
    Hi, my black sex link rooster Gorgeous George (because he is!) started favouring his left foot the other day. He hasn't moved much or out of the hen house and hasn't cockadoodled in a couple of days. He is eating and drinking and makes his 'burrrrrr" at me when I go in. I can pick him up, stroke his feathers with no issue. He is a good boy! I have put him in a cage with a bowl of food and water as the hens will eat all his food when he is out in the open. I wanted him to be comfortable, rest and have a secure food and water supply. I noticed today that his poop is a dark yet brightish green (if that makes sense). His foot is curled up a bit but does not appear to be swollen or red, I felt his foot and leg up to the joint and did not notice any wound and no heat, indicative of injury or infection. I have seen him put the foot flat on the ground but he does not appear to put any pressure on it. Earlier last week, he was missing during the day. I found some feathers and was quite upset, thinking that our one dog (who is tied up but got off chain and will chase and kill chickens) had gotten him. He showed up at bed time, a little dishevelled, a little stunned. He had a quiet day the next day but after that he was out and about, cockadoodling and foraging with his girls.. then this happened. Not sure if it is connected. Looking for thoughts and any advice on this... how long should I monitor this before I take him to the vet? My poor George has had a rough go lately.

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    He may have injured himself or got injured further up in his thigh or hip. The fact that he is still eating and drinking is a good sign however. If this were my bird, as long as he didn't appear ill, continues to eat and drink, I would keep him in a small cage for a week or two. Possibly he sprained something and needs to stay off his feet completely. It may heal on it's own. Keep him quiet until he appears completely normal. Keep the food and water very close near him so he doesn't have to move far to get it.

Of course if he starts to go down hill or you feel it necessary to take him to a vet, then do so. Good luck with your roo. :)

3. HopeK

HopeK New Egg

Sep 5, 2013
    Neebing, Ontario
    Thanks very much. That was what I had in mind... it's good to have another opinion that supports it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by