"Gorilla-Glue" tape saddles

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Aisle12Farms, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Aisle12Farms

Aisle12Farms Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2008
    [​IMG] Our overly zealous roo, Elvis, had caused several of our girls to become barebacked. I had discovered a thread that spoke of using tape to manufacture saddles to protect the girls backs. I figured there was no harm in trying, so we tried making them out of Gorilla Glue tape (available at the hardware store, Wal-Mart, K-Mart, etc) You create the saddle out of one long length and three shorter lengths. The longest length tucks under the wings, and the shorter lengths cover the bareback section. Within 30 minutes, they didn't even notice/bother with the saddles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The saddles do not adhere to the chickens skin, because it is naturally dusty. After several weeks the chickens "work the saddles off", but the new feathers have had a chance to come back in. It has really worked for us.

2. chickNjake

chickNjake Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2008
    east tn
    that's a great idea!!!!! I'll try that, we have a rooster that does that....his name is Geraldine....maybe he's making up for something! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by