1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Gosh these little chicks can FLY!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Happy Chooks, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    My welsummers are not even 2 weeks old yet, and man can they fly!!! [​IMG] These are going to keep me on my toes for sure! [​IMG]

I can't wait til they feather out, so I can start getting them outside during the day. We've been having beautiful weather. My older chickens need to get used to company.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    LOL They will escape the brooder every chance they get.

3. SSS

SSS Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2009
    I'd put some hardware cloth over the top.

4. mountainchick5

mountainchick5 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2009
    Pine,Colorado
    My EE's fly to the top of the fenced yard, only once they jumped over. They're 16 weeks. I think they just like to be higher than everyone else and look down on them, especially since they're the youngest of the flock.

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:I do have some wire on top, but when I go to change their food/water, they are all over the place, especially the cockeral. (never had one of those before) These welsummer's seem much more skilled at flying than my other BR chicks (also cockerals) and my 9 month old chickens when they were chicks.

Mountainchick.....my EE is a very good flyer too. She wasn't as a chick, but now she's very agile. She flys up on my arm for treats and she lands so softly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by