Gosling #1 is here :)...Gosling #2 is here see pg 4

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by farmertank, Feb 27, 2009.

1. farmertank

farmertank Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    Linden TN
    I have been getting up every hour all night long, and about 4:00 he finally was free of the egg. He's still wet, I wish he would hurry up and dry lol he's knocking the other egg around and peeping so loudly.

I reached in really quick and got his empty egg out and took this pic.

[​IMG]

He's a Toulouse/Embden mix. Is there way to sex him so Young?

The mother passed away, but I ran out and told His Daddy all about him, I do believe his neck grew longer with pride [​IMG]

I'm so excited [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  2. dave_Cash69

dave_Cash69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    kaintucky
    so pretty

3. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

OMG! Congrats! I would be beside myself with a sweetheart like that! I can't wait for geese!!!!

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    [​IMG] [​IMG] he is so cute!... i hope my goose eggs hatch! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. farmertank

Apr 28, 2007
    Linden TN
    Redhen,

I hope yours hatch too, when are they due? [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    i'm still waiting for them in the mail...[​IMG] 2-3 sebbie eggs [​IMG] how many eggs do you have left to hatch?? any tips for hatching them for me??? thanks, Wendy

7. farmertank

Apr 28, 2007
    Linden TN
    oh lol I guess you are reall counting your geese before they hatch [​IMG]

I only incubated 2 and I have one hatched and one close. I put them in the same day, but I thought right from the begining that one was slower at devolping.

I turn mine twice a day, I try for as close to 12 hours apart as I can get. You need to mist once a day(I did at the night turning so I could candle). don't handle unless turning and wash hands before, they can get bacteria easy. while you are misting, do a "cooling period" open the 'bator and let them cool with the misting an about 10 min. of room temp air. also the misting water is at room temp.

That's all I can think of. please feel free to ask if you think of any ?'s

Julie

8. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:thank you very much! also, how do i turn them?? end over end..or side to side? and how long do i let them cool for? and how much water do i use when i mist them?? heehe...thanks for any help, Wendy

9. farmertank

Apr 28, 2007
    Linden TN
    Wendy,

I lay mine on their side and put a dot so i know one side from the other. This way..say dot up in the morning, dot down in at night. this way if I'm not sure if I forgot I dan check to see where the dot is. If I'm doing different hatch dates i use the date I out egg in instead of a dot.

I coo about 10 minutes. I have a spray bottle for misting I mist 2 pumps per egg. you just want to cover the whole egg with a light mist.

I turn from day 1 to day 28. I know it says that they can hatch from day 28 till day 34, but I have found that if you stop turning to soon they have a hard time getting out. I may be wrong, this is just my theory, but it works best for me. I have never hatched Seb's but heard it's a little harder.

Julie

10. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    [​IMG] thanks so much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by