Gosling died?!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by cms7352, May 18, 2011.

1. cms7352

cms7352 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2010
    We've just lost a month and a half old gosling. I have no idea what happened. None of the others are sick. No apparent signs of violence. Since I'm giving no possible reasons i'll say how they're kept. There is a fake pond from a baby pool. They're. Not getting in yet but are drinking from it. They're totally free range but we're giving them feed also. Their feed is organic and has a high enough protein content. I'm not sure about the niacin if anyone knows how much they should get please let me know. I found him or her next to a tree near the house. We just had a ton of rain and they've been swimming around andrinking from there. We also keep chickens. The geese have been eating their food too.
    Would love any and all ideas on what could have happened.
    Thanks

2. cms7352

Sep 22, 2010
    Just saw another goose with runny poop... hope anyone has some ideas.

Thanks

3. Goosehaven

Goosehaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    Is there a chance they can get to any moldy goose or chicken food since it rained? Geese are especially susceptible to dying if they consume moldy food. That was just one thing I thought of.

4. cms7352

Sep 22, 2010
    there is some food on the ground but it does not look moldy and has only been out since yesterday. Would the food look moldy? They usually clean everything up really well.

5. Goosehaven

Goosehaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    You can usually see mold if there's food laying in damp or wet areas for a day or two. I keep my goose food in two geese huts but as messy as they are some always gets tracked out where its wet so I have to watch that very closely. If your food is sheltered from the weather and they clean it up for the most part that's probably not the problem.

6. cms7352

Sep 22, 2010
    Now we've had a duck die!! There are no poultry or waterfowl vets in the area. Any recommendations of books would be appreciated.

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    So sorry for your loss, there is 2 books that every goose and duck owner should have 1: Storey's Guide to raising Ducks by Dave Holderread and 2nd one is The Book of Geese by Dave Holderread. I hope you can find out what the problem is before you loose any more. [​IMG]

8. DurhamDuck

DurhamDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    Durham, Connecticut
    Do they have a dry WARM place to go??

9. cms7352

Sep 22, 2010
    Yes they do. They've been in there a little while it rains

10. Serina81

Serina81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Lucerne Valley, CA
    If I were you, I'd pen them up and only let them out when you're around to supervise. They usually have a momma to tell them to get their butts inside and out of the rain.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by