Gosling hatched naturally, but parents keep it sequestered.

Discussion in 'Geese' started by RoosterTheHorse, Jan 21, 2018.

1. RoosterTheHorse

RoosterTheHorse In the Brooder

Sep 1, 2015
    Stanwood, Wa
    Hi, not sure what to do. We raised our three Roman Tufted geese from goslings. One is a year older, May 2016, and laid eggs last year, but we had no male. The May 2017 pair are from Metzer farms. Both females laid eggs this year (and why do they start in Nov.) and share nest duties. Although the older is the primary.

A gosling hatched with 8 eggs left in nest. The two girls are co-mothering and flank both sides of the gosling. Really very cute. Dad is protective too, although I am able to be in their pen and touch the baby. But the gander flew up and latched onto my husband's coat, shoulder height. I didn't know the gander could do that. Over the barrier too.

My concern is that this is the second day for the gosling the parents keep it scooted under one of them. So I am worried about it drinking and eating. I put in a small waterer appropriate for small goslings, I took out a larger water that had a wide opening. Should I show the baby The water? Should I touch the baby? There is also a tub that is about six inches high I left for the adults. The tub is on the other side of their pen. The adults do not want to leave their pen and go outside to swim or preen. The male preened at the tub. I thought the gander would want to leave, to at least take a swim.

I put up a better barrier from the ducks, and glad I did. The Drake immediately went over and tried to get at the gosling, they share a partition, but he had no such luck.

So I have a lot of worries and concerns. I gave the adults kale, veggies, and oats last night. Plus dried meal worms, all flock feed, oyster shell, and bird seeds. Basically anything I could think of since they aren't going outside to eat grass.

Should I be worried about the tub and the gosling? Should I force the geese outside? Should I be more proactive with baby? Should I take the gosling away and hand brood?

Thanks, so many concerns and questions.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

You need to relax some the parents know how to take care of their goslings. They will show it food and water when it needs to eat usually 36-48 hrs after hatch. Make sure you put deep water where the gosling can't get into it. Ganders are just as involved as the mamas are with their goslings. They are very protective to. That is why he went after your dh. Is your all flock in crumble? goslings will not be able to eat pellets very well.

Are you sure the gosling hasn't drank water? or eaten?

Hopefully soon the other eggs will hatch so mamas will get up and start caring for them.

3. RoosterTheHorse

Sep 1, 2015
    Stanwood, Wa
    Thanks. I do need to relax. When I raised them, I was in control, right. Now I have to relinquish that.

I not totally sure about the gosling getting to water, but before I put the smaller waterer in this morning, it would have had to go a long way and the water was probably too high. I know for sure about no food. The food is up off the ground.

We are getting crumble flock raiser today. I tried to find post for goslings that were hatched naturally and being cared to by the parents. It is amazing how they all work together and the two females co-parent.

We are waiting for the others o hatch and yes then they wouldn't all be focused on one gosling.

Okay, okay, I gotta relax. Thanks so much.

Miss Lydia likes this.
  4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Believe me I know how your feeling mine had goslings given to them a few years ago and I was worried sick but they took them under their wing just like they hatched them. Geese are awesome parents and to see the whole gaggle participate in the raising is so enjoyable.

When my Muscovy duck had a duckling hatch before the rest of her eggs I set the waterer close by and feed too I actually did get to see the duckling eating but soon as it saw me it scooted right back under mom. They can be sneaky. lol

Keep us updated on hatch and pics when you can.

sourland likes this.
  5. RoosterTheHorse

Sep 1, 2015
    Stanwood, Wa
    I will put food close to the nest. The one girl built the nest up pretty high with hay, so I added hay to the low side. I have seen the gosling out and stumbling a little to walk over the hay, but I figure it will get stronger. We use shavings for the rest of pen. Their pen is in our garage and very protected from elements and predators.

I did have another question. This was the first year for the younger goose to lay, so her eggs are smaller. I assumed the gosling is from the older goose, her eggs are full size. But I really don't know for sure which goose's egg hatched.

Will a gosling hatch from the undersized, first eggs and be okay?

I will keep updates. I appreciate the help. Thanks. Everyone on here is so awesome. I read forums constantly for help. We have chickens, ducks, and of course the geese.

Miss Lydia likes this.
  6. RoosterTheHorse

Sep 1, 2015
    Stanwood, Wa
    And I candled the eggs about a week ago, so what's left all seemed to be viable fertilized eggs developing.

Miss Lydia likes this.
  7. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Crowing

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Just like chicks, goslings are designed to go 48-72 hours without eating after hatch. It sounds like it followed one adult off the nest and any good parent showed it where the food was first. Give the parents a tall bucket of water and a chick waterer for the goslings. You do not want them to get wet yet. I would leave them alone as much as possible so the adults don't accidentally squash the baby or break eggs protecting them.
    The "first" eggs are able to hatch. The goslings do tend to be smaller and weaker then those from older gooses. They will catch up after a few weeks.
    Hope they all hatch.

Miss Lydia and sourland like this.
  8. Iain Utah

Iain Utah Crowing

Dec 17, 2011
    I place water (in a shallow dish/pan) and a small pile of flockraiser next to nest, and let the parents do the rest.

Miss Lydia and sourland like this.
  9. duncan5

duncan5 Songster

Congratulations to you. I would be so excited also. Such a treat watching goslings grow.

Miss Lydia likes this.
  10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Perhaps you might put bricks or a ramp in the 'tub' just in case the gosling gets in there. Unable to get out, it might become water logged and drown. Do you have an incubator that you can move the other eggs to if the geese stop setting ?

Miss Lydia likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: