Gosling Hatched with red ball hanging from it

1sofia

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 7, 2014
Hello, sorry to be so graphic. This is my first time hatching gosling One of the baby Hatched and has a red looking liver or intestines hanging out. What can I do to help.

Attachments

• 3048FC57-EC5E-4AF7-8AB9-646B4B52BA97.jpeg
    3048FC57-EC5E-4AF7-8AB9-646B4B52BA97.jpeg
    318.8 KB · Views: 91
  • D2D384DB-6FB7-4C50-8B79-ABAE697BBF3D.jpeg
    D2D384DB-6FB7-4C50-8B79-ABAE697BBF3D.jpeg
    331.9 KB · Views: 60
Is there anything I possibly can do to help it.. this is my first time dealing with gosling’s it hatched about eight hours ago.

Abdomen didn't close up at 'navel'.
Sometimes they will retract and close up, but if I see intestines I euthanize.
Not sure anything can be done to assist.

Maybe @CluckNDoodle knows, or knows someone who knows?
Don't know who else to tag.
@Kiki or @Pyxis
Who's the go-to hatching guru these days?

Last edited:
Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry I missed this tag! Did your gosling finish absorbing the yolk sac and intestines?

Given time they can reabsorb most if not all of the yolk sac. The fact that you were seeing intestines as well is never a good sign unfortunately. A chick/gosling can recover even when the navel closes and part of the yolk sac is still exposed and it will heal, looking much like a black button but that's not the case when the intestines are also outside the body. There would be zero chance of survival if the gosling did not finish absorbing the intestines.

If the gosling is ok, then the most important thing when dealing with navels that aren't properly closed is to keep the brooder area as clean as possible. I know this is much harder with waterfowl but the cleaner you can keep it the better. I also would not allow the gosling to swim until the the navel has completely healed. Applying clorhexidine or antibiotic ointment WITHOUT pain reliever to the navel area daily is a good practice to help prevent infection.

I hope your gosling is doing ok.

Back
Top Bottom