Gosling having a VERY rough hatch! please help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Duckles, May 17, 2011.

1. Duckles

Duckles Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    West Mass
    Ok to be brief, our only 2 eggs to pip ended up shrink wrapped. One died and one needed assistance. He has been doing great, absorbed his whole yolk this afternoon and is now pushing to get out of his shell... Where his umbilical cord is attached to the egg is hanging on by a thread and his navel is all red and irritated from it. I will apply a little iodine and maybe flour if he is bleeding... Is that ok??

My question: Should I cover it? (I have non stick bandages and gauze wrap) or does it need air? I just don't want him to rip something while he's pulling out of the egg, but he's on his way and I can't stop him now. I reaaally want this little guy to make it.

TIA

2. noblehillfarm

noblehillfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Tyngsboro, Ma
    Quote:I would just leave it sometimes there is a little string that holds onto the egg and will break off when ducky starts moving around in the bator.If you mess with it Ducky will be apt to pick at it

3. noblehillfarm

May 13, 2009
    Tyngsboro, Ma
    Sorry I meant gosling I was looking at my duck when I wrote the reply

4. Duckles

Duckles Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    West Mass
    Thanks for your quick response...

So can he survive with his navel all raw and yucky like that? It's attached by two "strings" and a blood vessel

5. noblehillfarm

May 13, 2009
    Tyngsboro, Ma
    Quote:It is posible I learned from my mistake I pulled a string like that off a chick once and I couldnt stop the bleeding and it died in my hands so I ussually just leave them and most times they do just fine.

6. noblehillfarm

May 13, 2009
    Tyngsboro, Ma
    How is the gosling?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by