1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Gosling - Is this an Embden?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by HetaChick, Mar 8, 2013.

1. HetaChick

HetaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2011
    California
    Alright, here again this time with a goose. I acquired a domestic goose egg from a nasty filthy local lake. This is usually where I get my waterfowl and the city could care less because they send people around to take the eggs and euthanize excess ducks and geese because of disease. Putting that out there before I go on. Anyways.

[​IMG]
    I found a nest in the open by a path with a goose on one egg.

[​IMG]
    She hissed when I got close but got off, I was at a distance taking these. She's gorgeous. She was one of the smallest geese around, smaller than the Toulouse, Africans, and Pilgrims running around the place. (People dump these beautiful birds… and even some rare ducks… x.x) Do you guys think this is an Embden? I heard they were big and she just.. isn't. About the size of a canadian and the gander ( I saw a few days ago was too).

[​IMG]
    My egg hatched 3 days ago and this was the result.

[​IMG]
    If she is an Embden, the darkness of the grey would indicate a female from what I read.

[​IMG]
    She is quite happy with her life and is totally limp when I pick her up in this manner (no worries she's fully supported)

[​IMG]
    She's a happy goose.
    Anyways, goose folks, do you believe this is an Embden? And if so a female? I love this gosling and gander or not I have secured plans for it. It's spoiled by everyone and always has a person to cuddle with. And the saddest thing was though,
    was that I went back to see how the nest was doing with the new egg
    and found it missing. Apparently my neighbor saw a worker picking up trash in that area. I'm guessing that's where that egg went. This little baby is only 3 days old, and that would have been her. I am definitely glad I took the egg. The poor goose hasn't left the area even though the nest is destroyed. I feel bad, but at least her offspring is alive and well. I hope her next nest will not be right where all the people are.

Also the running name for this gosling is
    Emily

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I think Mama goose would be happy to have her baby back, she is stressed enough that her nest was ruined and lost another egg.

3. HetaChick

May 31, 2011
    California
    She will keep losing them there, that's why I took it. It would have been a nearly hatched gosling in the trash.

4. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    I'm sure she would be happy, until someone killed it. Its darling, but I have no idea what it is, sorry, hopefully someone will know and post. Its too bad you couldn't go at night and get the mama & poppa.

5. HetaChick

May 31, 2011
    California
    I might, actually. I have really close contact with all my birds so they wouldn't be happy, but I know a vet who has a nice pond and told me I could bring him birds. I plan to visit him soon anyways, so I need to ask. I'm planning on doing a female muscovy round up too because he has a lone muscovy male who needs some ladies.

I think it's a nice alternative to the life they're living, that place really does break my heart. So many birds, and many are injured and sick.

6. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Your gosling is likely a mix, geese are not monogomous, and it is a grey colored gosling (the dark feet and bill give that away). Since you stated there are toulouse and african geese there as well, thats likely your cross. So the down coloring is not telling you the gender of the gosling because of being a potential cross.

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Please rescue as many as you can, that has to be so heart breaking.. and your gosling is adorable, but I am thinking mix also since I have a Emben and he didn't have the dark bill when he hatched, other than that with the gray mixed in I would have said goose, but you never know with mixed. Maybe you can rouse some interest in these poor creatures and get some folks willing to give them homes. Keep us updated ..The mama was diff Embden,

People should be horse whipped for dumping animals. [​IMG]

8. Haunted55

Haunted55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    X 2!

9. HetaChick

May 31, 2011
    California
    Yeah I had a feeling (s)he was crossed. Someone asked me if she was a Canadian Goose, which I highly doubt. Although they were in the area as well.

Anyways, (s)he's very bonded with me now. If (s)he can't see me, (s)he follows my voice.

I always get my waterfowl there, my Ling duck came from there too. I think it's better than buying birds who may be luckier with their owners than these birds.

I also found a weird small egg that was bluish and smaller than Ling's mallard eggs lying around near a street, not in a nest or anything. Just there. I thought it was bad, but I cleaned it off, candled and began to incubate it. It's growing. So who knows. There's everything there from some beautiful wood ducks to rare duck and goose breeds.

Going to that place is a heart breaker, normally I go around this time to look for orphaned ducklings/goslings because you find them washed up, or hear them crying.
    But when I got the goose egg, I found two black ducklings huddled together dead in the grass. It was so heartbreaking, I almost started to cry. They had only just died a few hours ago, they were very unusual in coloration. I'm not sure whether they were left, or were with a mother and died from cold but it was too sad for me.

No, I wish more people around here would adopt the birds there, there's too many and they are all constantly fed bread and harassed by people scared of them.

Thanks everyone. I'll post pictures as (s)he develops.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Nothing wrong with mixed geese, they make nice pets too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by