gosling much smaller than siblngs

ally64

Hatching
Jun 30, 2016
one of my goslings did not thrive like the others, we have discovered the reason she is blind! she is a few months old now and is still small but is growing. She has needed a lot of TLC eg syringe feeding her with chick crumbs mixed with water in the early days, she began to thrive once out on the grass as everywhere she pecked there was food. She follows the sound of the other goslings and my voice and i have to make sure that there are no dangers for her but shes doing well. She knows now that when i pick her up its to help her and she is relaxed. im so relieved as at one point i didnt think she would make it. She now eats grass during the day and has corn and growers pellets at night she still has a light for warmth, she also has a little poultry spice mixed into her food. hope this helps others with tiny goslings.

I am glad you are willing to go the extra mile for your little one. I wish you and your gosling the best. With the right set-up, good companions and regular routine, she should do well. I also have a blind goose. I got her when she was 2 months old and I knew something was wrong. Turns out she had severe cataracts which rendered her 100% blind by 4 months old. For her safety, she lives in a specially made hardware cloth/pvc tube pen with her mate and a few other disabled geese and is quite happy. She is now 4 years old and (knock on wood) never had a single problem with her.

Welcome to backyard chickens.

Back
Top Bottom