1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Gosling Pics,

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by KSANDERS1, May 16, 2008.

1. KSANDERS1

KSANDERS1 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2008
    south carolina
    I posted these in a contest category that was already closed. So, here they are. I think this is the right spot. Sorry, not trying to spam. Just learning. I've been told they're Africans, Buff Tufted Roman, and Tufted Roman. I picked them up from the PO early Wednesday morning. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Oops! Here's the link to photobucket. Sorry!

http://s301.photobucket.com/albums/nn73/loyalbee2000/

Last edited: May 16, 2008
  2. DuckyBoys

DuckyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Oh adorable! [​IMG]

(If posting pics is spam - I'm gonna be booted here fast!) [​IMG]

3. GoodEgg

GoodEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    NW Florida
    So cute !!! Thanks for sharing!

Funny ... when I looked at Feathersite for breeds, I think I pretty much found out that there are 3 basic "looks" for baby gooses. The yellow one (I have one just like it), the ones with dark markings (a little greenish as you say, and I have two of them) and "other" which is kinda rare compared to the first two.

It's so frustrating ... ALL the breeds (almost) fall into the first two categories. So every pic there looked like one of my babies.

Hopefully yours are what you were told though. I have to wait till mine grow up to be absolutely positive. Not that I mind ... I am in love with the little guys anyway. Who'da thought baby gooses would be SO COOL?!?!?

One word though ... be ready for them to outgrow that box overnight, LOL. My 5-weekers are bigger than the standard chickens OR ducks. I know with my 25+chicks, I fastened together two boxes that file cabinets came in with duct tape. I wish I had boxes that big now for just 3 baby gooses!

trish

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    You forgot the sexing. LOL A lot of plain yellow goslings are male.

Very cute babies. They grow very quick. My 10 week olds are 6 - 8 lbs now.

5. KSANDERS1

KSANDERS1 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2008
    south carolina
    I would love to know all their sexes, but I'm not about to do the vent thing. If I did know, it would ease my mind, though. I've promised four of them to other people. It's going to be so hard letting any of them go. I have 2 of the all yellows, but one has the orange sheen. I thought that might mean that one was a girl. BTW, does the pitch of their wooting matter at this age? (I'd heard the higher pitch their calls, the more likely they're ganders.)

Anyway, here's the plan, subject to self-destruct. I'd like to keep the two Roman Tufted, the two Buff Roman Tufted, and three of the seven little avacadoes (Africans?). Two of the three avacadoes, I'd like to be females. So, ideally, a goose and gander in the yellows, a goose and gander in the buffs, and two geese and one gander of the avacadoes. Or maybe I'll tick a few people off, and just keep all of them. [​IMG]

6. snowydiamonds

snowydiamonds Chillin' With My Peeps

"maybe I'll tick a few ppl off and keep all of 'em"
    [​IMG] that's what my two geese are saying about me and any other humans and "our" lil goslings;)

And, I'm wondering if that's how the neighbors will feel with six honkers in the yard when they're older, too! What lil beauties and LOVE the name Lemon Drop![​IMG]

7. DuckyBoys

DuckyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I have tried to vent sex everything I have - and I STILL don't have a clue! One day I'm like Oh yes - BOY - GIRL - GIRL...then the next time I'm lik e 'Hmmm" BOY - BOY - GIRL

Now I'm going by size - "Oh yes, BOY - GIRL - BOY - GIRL...."

Works for me!

Basically I just can't tell. [​IMG]

8. Meesh

Meesh Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    Beautiful coloring on those babies! Wow!! :) It will be fun to watch them grow up.

- Michelle

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by