Gosling pipped! Now what?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by ChickenPox, Jun 12, 2011.

1. ChickenPox

ChickenPox Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Middle GA
    Complete goose newbie here!

I had three eggs, but I'm pretty confident this is the only living one I've got. Jury is still out on another one, but I'm 100% positive the third is a dud.

I wasn't expecting any of them to make it, so I am thrilled with the one I've got coming! [​IMG]

It pipped a little over 12 hours ago and hasn't made much, if any, progress. The shell is a lot thicker than the chicken eggs I'm used to! I did pull off a piece where the baby had pipped, and there is a hole I can see down into. I can see it's bill.

How long should I wait until I help? I've heard that geese need help more often than chickens do. I don't want to hurt it, but i don't want it to die either if I can help it! The membrane looks papery and white where the pip is, no vessels....

Advice please?

2. ChickenPox

Feb 2, 2011
    Middle GA
    Oh, I forgot to mention I still see plenty of movement, and it squaks at me! lol!

3. Cottage Rose

Cottage Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Mid west Michigan
    It can take 12 - 24 hours after external pip.
    If you help it out too soon the membrane
    will bleed and the yolk sack won't be absorbed.
    Make sure your humidity is 65 - 75%.

4. ChickenPox

Feb 2, 2011
    Middle GA
    Thank you for the response!! I am mostly worried about the yolk not being absorbed. Not exactly sure what humidity is, but it's high....from past experience I have only had to fill one pot in my Brinsea for chicken eggs, so I filled both for these goose ones.

Tomorrow morning around 9 or so it will have been pipped for 24 hours. What, if anything, should I do then if it hasn't progressed?

5. Cottage Rose

Jun 24, 2008
    Mid west Michigan
  6. ChickenPox

Feb 2, 2011
    Middle GA
    It just hatched!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

It's the cutest thing ever!! It's a mixed breed.... but is yellow with black on it's head and back. TOO CUTE!!!!

7. Cottage Rose

Jun 24, 2008
    Mid west Michigan
    CONGRATULATIONS! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by