Gosling question about: Brown chinese and Africans

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Ace_king_brahma, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Ace_king_brahma

Ace_king_brahma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Castroville, Texas
    Is there a way to tell these two apart as goslings? I have been looking at photos of goslings recently and realized how similar they look. I may have sold off some brown chinese as Africans when I was buying hatchery assortments and hoping to avoid this in the future.

2. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    They will be hard to tell apart initially. My guess is the chinese will be the first to be noisey and will be chattier than the Africans.

3. Omniskies

Omniskies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    Won't the Africans grow twice as quickly (as far as girth)? They're an extremely large, stocky bird with a thicker neck. If they were all hatched on the same day then I'd assume that within a few weeks you could tell the difference in size.

http://feathersite.com/Poultry/Geese/ToulChina2wks2.JPEG shows the difference between Toulouse and Chinese goslings at two weeks. Would the Africans have a similar growth spurt?

4. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Yeah. The Africans should pull ahead in size as well. Good point.

5. Ace_king_brahma

Mar 14, 2008
    Castroville, Texas
    That was what I was afraid of. I ordered 3 africans and 4 assorted goslings from Ideal three weeks ago and I sold everything off except one and decided to keep the last one that no one seemed to want. I am guessing I kept one of the Africans as "he" is huge now! At the time I bought them however brown chinese were available for the hatchery assortment and I didn't know how closely they looked to one another. I'm worried I sold brown chinese instead of Africans. Though I guess if I did I will be hearing about it once they grow up.

6. Ace_king_brahma

Mar 14, 2008
    Castroville, Texas
    I got a new shipment of assorted goslings...and wouldn't you know it! Soon as I opened it I see 7 greyish things bumbling about. Some of them are a little bigger so I'm assuming they might be africans and the smaller ones are chinese. I also received a -very- large yellow gosling. I'm suspecting it's a white chinese but the size is a huge difference compared to the rest of the batch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by