1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Gosling Question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by tinkertyme22, Mar 31, 2009.

1. tinkertyme22

tinkertyme22 New Egg

Mar 31, 2009
    Chino Valley, Arizona
    My new little chicks are doing great, but the larger of my two gosling has begun to pull the fuzz off his own back. He's alert and healthy in every other way -- I just have no idea what to do. I've had chickens and ducks, but neither fowl has ever done anything so . . . foul. Help?

2. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    Is there a possibility he has mites or lice?
    Hopefully some of the more experienced geese people will chime in w/some suggestions.

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    [​IMG]

4. farmertank

farmertank Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    Linden TN
    Does he have bald spots? My baby geese do this too, but they never pull it out enough to have bald spots. I think they are itchy with the new feathers coming in under neath and that's why they do it. Do you let them play in water? They may be bored. Geese are really smart and love to have something to do all the time. I give mine a small pool and a stuffed toy. They splash around and then fight with the stuffed toy lol. They also like grass or hay to nibble on.

I'm not sure just suggesting some things. do you have any pics of this?

Julie

5. tinkertyme22

tinkertyme22 New Egg

Mar 31, 2009
    Chino Valley, Arizona
    You two are the absolute best! Thanks so very much for the prompt responses. It's amazing how much I can worry about a goose -- but there it is. [​IMG]

I think you may be right about the boredom. They're only a few days old, but their box is small. The small gosling is content to eat and sleep and snuggle under the lamp, but the larger one shrills to be picked up morning and night and is always into something when out of the box. I'll move them to a larger enclosure and give them a couple of tiny toys. [​IMG] I'd have never thought of that in a million years. I LOVE you guys!

PS to Terri-- I want to live on your Funny Farm! I'm a novelist and your life sounds like a book in the making!

6. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    Have you got the goslings on green food? If you don't have unfertilized grass they need dark leafy greens. If they cant' graze on greens they graze on each other! They also could be too warm-can they get to a cool spot in there pen? Good luck!

7. tinkertyme22

tinkertyme22 New Egg

Mar 31, 2009
    Chino Valley, Arizona
    Thanks, Banter! I didn't have them on green foods because I thought they were still too young. They will SO have forage later this afternoon. I think it's also helped that now that they're in a larger area, they can better get away from the light.

Thanks so all you wonderful people who took time to help a stranger, life is indeed good for the goslings!

8. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I gave my ducklings thawed out french cut green beans in a dish of water when they were only a few days old. At first they played with them more than anything, but it didn't take long for them to gobble em up and beg for more.

9. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    I like the idea of french green beans-easy and healthy

10. lil'chickies

lil'chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    West Texas
    You could also go dig up a clump of grass to play and eat. I put it in a cereal box to contain the dirt and make it easier to clean out when you change it out. I did the same thing for my chickies to entertain them. Just an idea that's a little cheaper. I'm a serious penny pincher and use what I have.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by