Gosling seem thin

Discussion in 'Geese' started by jdywntr, Sep 12, 2012.

1. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I have been rounding up everyone over the last few days and marking them with bands before they get too similar to tell apart.
    Today, I rounded up the last gosling, a 13 week old African. This gosling also ripped off a toenail a few days ago so I wanted to get a good look at the toe.

When I picked him up, he seemed kind of thin. It is losing a lot of feathers (looks much worse than it's hatch mate) I did read somewhere that geese get new feathers at several different ages when young so I wasn't too concerned about the feather loss. But having a good amount of contact with it a few days ago to clean it's toe, it seems to be thin.

It does not look thin just on a visual but I could feel the breast bone somewhat distinctly. Since it's injury, he had a little limp and is slower than the others but seems to be improving every day. It is eating (Flock Raiser mixed with grains) and acting normal in every other way. I just don't recall it feeling so thin.

Suggestions? And is the feather loss normal at this age?

2. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    is it last to the feed pan with not much left? if so you may want to use more than 2 feed pans spread apart so everyone has a chance to get to the feed.

3. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    No, the geese get a feed pan to themselves (with an occasional duck or chicken snacking too) They are always the first there and I have not seen any of the geese bullying other geese (just ducks or chickens) away from the bowls.

4. Iain Utah

Iain Utah Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2011
    His appetite may have been affected from being hurt and separated from his group. Like all animals (horses, dogs, humans, etc.), when geese are not feeling well and/or are depressed, they don't have their normal appetite.

However, if you are feeding 5 goslings from the same feed pan, there may be a pecking order among them that you are not seeing. Try feeding them from 2 pans.

5. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I actually stood and watched them at feeding time today. There isn't a pecking order for food (yet, unless you are a chicken) he ate as greedily as the others. I have only been feeding everyone once a day to encourage foraging. Maybe later I'll take this little one some extra feed. I'm only concerned because this is the smallest of the goslings. There is only 2 weeks difference between them, the oldest is a chinese, all of the africans are bigger or the same size of the chinese now except this one. It also seems to be going through a harder time replacing feathers, which I know is affected by nutrition.

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Can you get some Poultry Nutri drench and add it to their water? it would actually be good for all the flock.

7. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Thanks Miss Lydia. I'll look into it and see if my local TSC carries it. I looked at their website and I don't recall ever seeing it but they are out of alot of things, alot of the time.

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    you can order on line I buy it by the quart lasts longer that way.

9. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I will search for it. Thanks!

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'm thinking I ordered from Twin City Poultry the last time I ordered it,.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by