gosling size difference- African v Toulouse

Discussion in 'Geese' started by sayyadina, May 26, 2010.

1. sayyadina

sayyadina Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    I was just wondering if its normal for there to be a significant size difference between African & Toulouse goslings of the same age and gender.

This picture shows my Toulouse gosling on the left and my African gosling on the right, just shy of 3 weeks old. [​IMG]

Is it normal that my African gosling is smaller?

2. arherp

arherp Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    Kentucky
    My Toulouse grow very fast, and my Africans grow notably slow, if that helps at all.

3. OmaBird

OmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    CA High Desert
    I have two pair each of Super Africans and Tufted Buff from Metzler. My Tufted Buff are alot bigger. They have been from day one but now at 12 days old I can really see it. So I either have small Super Africans or they just grow slower.

4. adrian

adrian Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Regina, SK
    That's funny... I raised pilgrims and africans last year, and the africans were always noticeably larger. After hatching, they were quite a bit bigger than the pilgrims, and even though they grew very slowly, the pilgrims were always a lot smaller. They sort of had a growth spurt after... a bit over a month of age, and definitely overtook the tiny little pilgrims after that. They do grow slowly, though, but you must have very large toulouse and very large tufted buffs, then! Either that, or my pilgrims were tiny. (That said, my female at 6 months was about 7lbs)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by