Gosling surprise! Wow, 5 babies! Look @ pics What sex are they?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by fancbrd4me02, May 13, 2010.

1. fancbrd4me02

fancbrd4me02 Songster

My Tufted Romans hatched these neon yellow babies this week! I was surprised, because she had set on the eggs 35 days before, so I thought it was past the date any would hatch. Are they not the cutest? I don't have room for them though, so I have to find them new homes. Any thoughts on the gender, goose experts? Are the darker ones girls?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2010
  2. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Songster

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    Oh my Goddess!! Look at the tufts!! They're so adorable!!! Oh are you sure you can't keep them??? They'd melt my heart.

Laurie

3. fancbrd4me02

fancbrd4me02 Songster

I love them too much, thats why I have to find them homes quick, they are already twisting me around thier little wingtips... I feel pretty bad about breaking up the family, too. Any advice on the gentlest way to seperate them or best age, please let me know.

4. Puddle Foot Farm

Puddle Foot Farm Songster

Aug 20, 2008
    Maryland
    I believe it would be easier on the goslings to separate them ASAP, so they can be bonded to their new families.. The parents not so much. If you have any room at all, leave them a gosling or two, and then they won't dislike you too much. [​IMG] I've never had to separate, but I've heard that parents go a bit bonkers when they lose babies. Don't quote me, though! [​IMG] Good luck with the cuties.

5. In my mind...nothing cuter! I agree with the previous post...I would leave at least one or two with Mom and Dad.

Thanks for sharing a sweet story and such cute pictures.

Joni

6. Kim65

Kim65 Songster

May 29, 2009
    Washington state
    OMG those little tufts on their head [​IMG]

And the color differences, wow. I don't know if there's a sex link thing with them. You'd have to find someone who knows how to do it to sex them for "sure".

I am guilty of humanizing my geese's emotions too much, and I'm all for leaving them with at least one baby [​IMG] They reproduce many offspring with the "knowledge" they will lose so many to predators/accidents, so a goose will "understand" the loss of a few goslings (IMO). Now, *I* wouldn't understand that at all, and I have to remember that [​IMG] we are talking about geese here lol.

What's ONE more goose, anyway? If it's another gander, it won't be such a bad thing to rehome him when he's an adult. Another goose will be just right [​IMG] if it's female.

7. fancbrd4me02

fancbrd4me02 Songster

I removed the goslings. Somehow one got squished or killed (I am so upset) so I decided to go ahead and bring the remaining 4 into my brooder. They are now with my Cotton Patch goslings. The parents hardly seem to mind. I am surprised, they put up a huge fight, but then went back to acting like normal.

8. Lund Poultry

Lund Poultry Songster

Apr 2, 2010
    Brooklyn, WI
    I do think the darker ones are girls! Not 100% sure, good luck finding homes. They are soooo cute!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by