Gosling surprise! Wow, 5 babies! Look @ pics What sex are they?

fancbrd4me02

Songster
11 Years
Nov 15, 2009
San Diego, California
My Tufted Romans hatched these neon yellow babies this week! I was surprised, because she had set on the eggs 35 days before, so I thought it was past the date any would hatch. Are they not the cutest? I don't have room for them though, so I have to find them new homes. Any thoughts on the gender, goose experts? Are the darker ones girls?

44581_img_3582.jpg

44581_img_3595.jpg

44581_img_3594.jpg

Last edited:
I love them too much, thats why I have to find them homes quick, they are already twisting me around thier little wingtips... I feel pretty bad about breaking up the family, too. Any advice on the gentlest way to seperate them or best age, please let me know.

I believe it would be easier on the goslings to separate them ASAP, so they can be bonded to their new families.. The parents not so much. If you have any room at all, leave them a gosling or two, and then they won't dislike you too much.
hmm.png
I've never had to separate, but I've heard that parents go a bit bonkers when they lose babies. Don't quote me, though!
smile.png
Good luck with the cuties.

OMG those little tufts on their head
big_smile.png

And the color differences, wow. I don't know if there's a sex link thing with them. You'd have to find someone who knows how to do it to sex them for "sure".

I am guilty of humanizing my geese's emotions too much, and I'm all for leaving them with at least one baby
sad.png
They reproduce many offspring with the "knowledge" they will lose so many to predators/accidents, so a goose will "understand" the loss of a few goslings (IMO). Now, *I* wouldn't understand that at all, and I have to remember that
big_smile.png
we are talking about geese here lol.

What's ONE more goose, anyway? If it's another gander, it won't be such a bad thing to rehome him when he's an adult. Another goose will be just right
smile.png
if it's female.

I removed the goslings. Somehow one got squished or killed (I am so upset) so I decided to go ahead and bring the remaining 4 into my brooder. They are now with my Cotton Patch goslings. The parents hardly seem to mind. I am surprised, they put up a huge fight, but then went back to acting like normal.

Back
Top Bottom