1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Gosling with bad eyesight?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by SouthernPride, Jun 10, 2011.

1. SouthernPride

SouthernPride Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Olive Branch, MS
    Is this even possible and how would I know for sure? I have 2 Brown Chinese that are about 4 weeks old. One of them is very skiddish, screechy and very clingy to the other. We thought it was just that she was a liitle younger than the other and it was probably a personnality thing. She is the first to alert the others of things amiss in their environement so we thought that would be a good thing in the long run. But I've noticed that when she goes down a few steps she does not look down and just tumbles down the steps. If I try to feed her she will just squawk at me and doesn't even look at what I have, she even does this will food bowls. She has even run into me on a couple of occasions. She would rely heavily on the other for comfort. I know she can see, just maybe not very well. Could her eyesight be deteriating? This could be a real issue for her safety.

2. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:You do know that they don't see too well straight ahead? If they are looking at something they usually cock their head so one eye sees it. They also have a eyelid that is fairly transparent that they use underwater. If you are providing water that they can dunk their whole head into I don't know anything else you can do.

3. SouthernPride

SouthernPride Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Olive Branch, MS
    Yes I realize that and that is one thing I've noticed she never does, cock her head up when there is a bird in the sky. She also rarely walks/runs in a straight line. They always have water available. I'm sure there is nothing I can just wondering if anyone else has had an experience like this

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by