Gosling with Neurological Damage, Please Help!

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by JustDuckyTexas, May 8, 2008.

1. JustDuckyTexas

JustDuckyTexas New Egg

Apr 24, 2008
    I hatched two goslings in the incubator. One is fine and healthy. The other one seems to have some sort of problem. She has a hard time controling her neck muscles, can't stand up, and falls over on her back, then waves her little feet and cries. She may be blind, but it is hard to tell. The other baby is very concerned about her, and hangs around her protecting her and sleeping on her. He screams if I take her away. Has anyone had a gosling like this improve? Is putting her down the only solution? I am so upset.
    A nice member of the Farm Life Forum said the following works with chicks. I called the vet and was told that no medicine has been approved for use with Geese, but only because no one has studied it, and I may as well give it a try since she most likely won't get better on her own. Does anyone else have any ideas on this? Have you tried "chicken medicine" on your waterfoul?
    Daily Dosage for Limbernecl/Crookneck in chickens:
    400 IU of vitamin E (one human capsule)
    Selenium 50 micrograms (You may have to get a larger tablet and cut it in half or quarters)
    Crush the Selenium into a fine powder. Take the Vitamin E capsules a poke a hole in one end with a pin, then squeeze the luquid out into a tiny dish. Mix the powdered Seleium into the Vitamin E liquid using a wooden matchstick or something similar. Hold the chick in one hand, with the other scoop up a small amount of the mixture, pry open the chicks’ beak and place the mix inside the chick’s beak, allowing it to swallow it on it’s own. Fed the chick the entire mixture. Do this once a day for 7 days.

Last edited: May 8, 2008
  2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I have heard of it used for chickens many times. I don't know about geese but I don't think the vitamins will harm the gosling. If it is in bad shape the least you can do is try it before you have to cull it. If it improves then you have experience under your belt to use in a crisis like this again.

3. tataharris

tataharris Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2007
    Calvin, Oklahoma
    How old is the baby?

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    back to add -

I have hatched 2 batches of goose eggs. I didn't have any problems with them at all. I do know it can take 24 hours or longer to get their heads and necks under control. If the gosling is over 48 hours and still flopping and can't get it together to hold his head right I would give the Vit E.

5. JustDuckyTexas

JustDuckyTexas New Egg

Apr 24, 2008
    She's 4 days old. Her neck is definitely bent The other one is 5 days old, and quit flopping like this after 2 days. This one didn't seem quite right from the beginning.

6. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Definitley try the Vit E or polyvisol. Poly vi sol is PERFECT for this type of problem. Give 3 to 4 drops ONCE a day for 3 days then taper off to 2 drops for 4 days.

7. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Hello, I have the same problem with a abay goose that was born a few days ago The goosling is 5 days old. I use BOSE for my goats and it has 5.48 mg of selenium for each ml and 50 mg of vitamin E I am thinkin 1/2 cc or less for the goosling for 5 days. Do you think this is to much?
    Any suggestions?

8. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    I don't think I'd give poultry BO/SE at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by