Gosling with swollen air sac in neck

Discussion in 'Geese' started by growurfood, Feb 22, 2017.

1. growurfood

growurfood Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2013
    San Antonio
    Hi
    I have a Gosling that I've noticed his neck swells up when he eats. His mate's doesn't. It's been going on for 3 days. I've been adding yogurt to his diet to prevent sour crop. I'll probably give him a garlic water tonic to prevent infection. Any other ideas? I think his crops not emptying correctly. He may have eaten some cardboard off the inside of the box...

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    If his crop is filling up and then emptying out later, that is normal. It's only a problem if it fills up and then doesn't empty out.

3. growurfood

growurfood Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2013
    San Antonio
    Ok well it seems to empty out a lot slower then his mate's. This morning the mate's crop was empty while his was still half full. I'm looking for something that will prevent the problem. I'm thinking garlic in their water will act to ward off any infection...

4. MichelleC1974

MichelleC1974 New Egg

Mar 8, 2017
    HI looking for help with my son's goose. She has a big lump in her crop. Have no idea what this is. He checked for an obstruction and couldn't find anything[​IMG]

5. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

Anything she could have gotten into like twine or really long grass that could have gotten balled up and stuck? Is she still eating and pooping normally?

6. MichelleC1974

MichelleC1974 New Egg

Mar 8, 2017
    They said not likely as far as twine goes but maybe tall grass or hay. As far as they can tell she's eating, pooping and acts fine

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by