Goslings .... African or Toulouse

Discussion in 'Geese' started by lizareny, May 28, 2010.

1. lizareny

lizareny Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2010
    Got the Waterfowl Special from Cackle Hatchery....ended up with Rouen ducks, and I'm thinking these geese are African.....What do you think? They'll be one or the other, Cackle only carries 2 white breeds and 2 brown breeds of geese. They're so CUTE!!! They're already looking down their noses at me.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  2. Miss Red

Miss Red Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Trinity, Texas
    Adorable!

3. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    Maybe African.I hatched one last year.They are Toulouse though.I bought 24 Toulouse and they arrived their grey color as adults as babies.They are all cute though.Hope you enjoy them.

4. arherp

arherp Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    Kentucky
    Looks like African to me... you lucky person. I wanted Africans, but didnt want to take the risk... so I paid the 9.15. Good luck!

5. MrsSmitho

MrsSmitho Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    E. Tx.
    They look African...my Toulouse had dark feet, but not that dark :0 my African had the super dark feet. Also, in the next couple months, the Toulouse beek will lighten up.
    SOOOO adorable! Good luck [​IMG]

6. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Africans have very dark beaks whereas Toulouse have dark beaks. Kind of like the difference you would see between black and dark gray. It's a subtle difference. I was "fortunate" to have both breeds as babies at the same time, so I was able to spot the difference between them. (I say "fortunate" because I was supposed to get all Africans and a Toulouse was thrown in accidentally. In retrospect, the Toulouse was the best of the bunch and I'm happy I got her.)

They're cute either way. Enjoy!

7. lizareny

lizareny Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2010
    Yes, I'll be happy with either breed. I'm just glad they made it healthy and 24 hrs later, they are all still doing great! I'll try and throw some more pics up later today, maybe take a few out in the natural light.

8. OmaBird

OmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    CA High Desert
    I was just reading Metzer Blog yesterday on how to tell Africans from Toulouse. Click on the blog. Second one down. http://blog.metzerfarms.com/

9. noahsgeese

noahsgeese Border Collie

Nov 30, 2009
    Virginia
    Toulouse maybe?

10. Tinted

Tinted Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2010
    Kentucky

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by