Goslings and turkeys

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Poultry finder, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Poultry finder

Poultry finder In the Brooder

Jun 1, 2016
    Montana
    I have 4 goslings and 4 Turkey chicks penned up in a livestock tank with each other. They are all around two weeks old and I constantly keep their pen clean. I have a hanging nipple waterer for them to drink from. The problem is that the turkeys seem to be a little lethargic and the goslings legs' are kind of wobbly as they walk. I was wondering what could cause this, if it is the two different species in with each other or if it's the way I give water or even if it's the feed that I'm giving them. I also keep a heat pad in the tank and a lamp about 1 and a half feet from the bottom. And they are in a heated office.

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchi Wan Kenobi

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    What are you feeding them? I can't speak to what might be going on with the turkeys (maybe coccidiosis) but goslings need more niacin than is found in chick starter, so if you're not feeding an all flock feed or waterfowl feed, they aren't getting enough niacin and that will cause leg issues.

3. Poultry finder

Poultry finder In the Brooder

Jun 1, 2016
    Montana
    I am feeding them meat bird feed. This is definitely not what I usually feed them but the place that we got them at said too. I think I may change to chick starter grower pretty soon here though.

4. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchi Wan Kenobi

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    I feed my goslings Nutrena Meatbird feed, but it was specifically made with ducklings in mind, so it has enough niacin. If yours wasn't made with waterfowl in mind, then it won't have enough niacin, and a regular chick starter won't either.

I'd buy some Brewer's Yeast to mix into the feed to up the niacin content.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: