goslings ate medicated feed, what now?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by griddles, Jun 19, 2007.

1. griddles

griddles Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2007
    Northern Wisconsin
    My goslings and ducklings may have eaten medicated feed, I am not 100% on this but I have lost three now. Is their something I can do? Or is it hopeless? They may have been eating it for a few days before I realized it.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2007
  2. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Just make sure they don't get anymore and it will work its way out of their system. There isn't much more I know of that you can do.

3. griddles

May 11, 2007
    Northern Wisconsin
    Thank you, Im not sure thats even it but I dont know what else it could be. [​IMG]

4. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    Waterfowl are pretty tough but just in case its not an overdose and its something bacterial/viral make sure everything is clean and dry for them. Clean all the feeders and waterers with hot water and a bleach solution and make sure they are well rinsed before giving them back. remove them to a new brooder with new clean and dry bedding and hope for the best.

5. griddles

May 11, 2007
    Northern Wisconsin
    Ok. I also bought tetramycin hoping it will help. Thanks so much for your help.[​IMG]

6. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    It's a non issue. I've raised mine on medicated feed in fact.

The cautionary warning is an old outdated legacy from a long abandoned type of medication, and based on the theoretical potential. As I recall, the birds would have to eat many pounds of feed each day to manage to endanger themselves.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by