goslings & chickens & turkeys, oh my.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BirdieMama, May 10, 2009.

1. BirdieMama

BirdieMama New Egg

May 10, 2009
    I'm rather new and not sure where to post this,
    but I have two questions for you lovely people-
    being as inexperienced as I am;)

1) My baby chick seems to have a little bald booty?
    We have close to 20 chicks, all a couple of weeks old.
    I've found only one with this problem, and his little butt doesn't seen to be inflamed or red at all-
    In fact it's quite smooth and colored seemingly normal.
    Can anyone tell me what's making this happen?

2) In a feeble attempt to escape from the pen, our quite clumsy gosling got himself stuck in between one of the squares of our fence. Unfortunately the raptors that we call turkeys got to him before we did [​IMG]
    He was jabbed in the eye and bleeding a bit, but went about his day as a normal, happy little goose would.
    But later on when we put him in his cage we notice a foam layer covering part of the injured eye.
    Could this be his natural way of healing the wound,
    or is it getting infected?

Much Thanks!
    BirdieMama

2. meriruka

meriruka Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    1) Check for poultry lice or mites. If it's not that, make sure they are not too warm or crowded or bored. If it's not any of those things, watch them to see if another chick is pulling the feathers out or even if he is doing it himself.

2) I would recommend taking a pic of the eye & putting it on the "emergencies " thread. Meantime, you could flush it with some warm water and put a little plain Neosporin (not the kind with painkiller) on it. Also, make sure the others aren't pecking at the eye.

I hope he recovers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by