Goslings Hand raise or momma?

oberhaslikid

Crowing
14 Years
Nov 5, 2008
Ohio
I have a Scovie that hatched out 5 Pligrim goslings and I would like them to be tame.I have never had Geese. My Ex had some That I didnt like They were Touloose.They would chase you and not let you out of the car.
I dont want that Thats why I picked the Pilgrim.
Should I hand raise them or let her raise them?

Last edited:
Unlike Chickens or Ducks, Geese need to be trained. If hand raised they tend to think they are humans or that humans are geese. Either view can be bad when they start to set up the pecking order. Since they instinctively want to be at the top of the order they will try to dominate people. If the people let them get the better of them they will have monsters on their hands. If you see this behavior you must firmly convince them that humans are superior, and it usually takes more than one lesson!
If raised by geese (or Muscovy) they usually learn from the parent that humans are boss and there is much less problems for either the goose or the humans. JMO.

If you want "tame" geese, hand raise them.
I had the same trouble with the geese that my DH had on his farm before I came along. They were mean aggressive creatures.
My geese have 'imprinted' upon me and they see me and equate me with clean swiming pool water and treats.

I would take them away, more work, but better adults!
Good luck I LOVE my geese.

With handraising I found that males will turn into them mean ganders that chase everyone and everything because they sees Humans as another goose/gander that encroaches on his space/mate. Parent raised ganders generally are more wary of people and mostly just bluff if they show any agression towards people at all.

That is just what I have experienced over the years I have kept/raised different kinds of geese.
Imprinted geese are nice and all, until the hormones hit and you become a rival rather then a supplier of treats and water.

Ganders are usually the only ones who will turn, my hens have always stayed sweet and non-agressive even when the hormones hit and no problem around people... while he gets locked in the barn all day for biting and beating me.

Last edited:
Definitely hand raise them!
Leaving them with the mama duck or even geese parents will make them fearful of humans.
I don't think hand raising makes overly aggressive ganders.
I think it simply boils down to their individual personalties that comes out during the breeding season regardless of how they were raised...and any gander is going to show some aggression during the breeding season from benign hissing to outright attacking but with Pilgrims you shouldn't have any major issues.
If ganders get too sassy during the breeding season you just have to let them know whose boss.
NEVER run away from them.
They are big bluffers and will often turn and run screaming like little girls if you march straight at them with authority and confidence.
To cure the macho men I pick mine up (or pin them down) and rub them all over their manly feathers and call them insulting names. After a few minutes of hugging they don't want to get anywhere near me for a week or so.
Repeat as needed.

Last edited:
Which ever you choose come back in September and tell us about your results! They are different birds when they get some size on them and the hormones kick in. I have done it both ways and I know what I will do next time I have a choice.

Back
Top Bottom