Goslings navels look icky

mlktrkdvr

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 18, 2011
SE Nebraska
My goslings that hatched this afternoon have large red navels. Is this normal, because I didn't notice thi on my first two hatchlings.
Please advise
Thanks

This is referred to as a "rough navel" -- it looks worse than it is in most cases. IIRC, it is due to too high of humidity during hatch.

When I've had this happen, I dust the navel with both styptic powder (dries it up) and tetracycline powder (helps prevent infection). They always heal up in a day or two. Repeat 2 or 3 times a day for 2 or 3 days at least.

The most important thing is to make sure that they goslings aren't running around on any sharp surface or object such as wire mesh -- if something cuts or pierces the navel, they can bleed out a lot. If you incubator has a wire mesh bottom, I'd remove the goslings and put them in a brooder with a soft, non-slip surface that is easy to clean, such as old towels that you can change out 3 or 4 times a day.

They should be fully healed up in about a week.

Hi

Recommend twice daily spray of navel area with iodine dry powder spray. Available from pharmacy and in UK it comes as a pressurised aerosol. Sometime called Betadine. Spray, comes out cold (shrinking any open vessels) and then drys as a powder
wink.png

Pete

Back
Top Bottom