1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Goslings navels look icky

Discussion in 'Geese' started by mlktrkdvr, Apr 20, 2011.

1. mlktrkdvr

mlktrkdvr Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2011
    SE Nebraska
    My goslings that hatched this afternoon have large red navels. Is this normal, because I didn't notice thi on my first two hatchlings.
    Please advise
    Thanks

2. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    This is referred to as a "rough navel" -- it looks worse than it is in most cases. IIRC, it is due to too high of humidity during hatch.

When I've had this happen, I dust the navel with both styptic powder (dries it up) and tetracycline powder (helps prevent infection). They always heal up in a day or two. Repeat 2 or 3 times a day for 2 or 3 days at least.

The most important thing is to make sure that they goslings aren't running around on any sharp surface or object such as wire mesh -- if something cuts or pierces the navel, they can bleed out a lot. If you incubator has a wire mesh bottom, I'd remove the goslings and put them in a brooder with a soft, non-slip surface that is easy to clean, such as old towels that you can change out 3 or 4 times a day.

They should be fully healed up in about a week.

3. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Hi

Recommend twice daily spray of navel area with iodine dry powder spray. Available from pharmacy and in UK it comes as a pressurised aerosol. Sometime called Betadine. Spray, comes out cold (shrinking any open vessels) and then drys as a powder [​IMG]

Pete

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by