Gosling's still in the egg Showing signs of trouble.

Discussion in 'Geese' started by josmardavtom, May 18, 2010.

1. josmardavtom

josmardavtom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2010
    I have a gosling that is still in it's egg. it pipped yesterday morning. All tho I have been patient I am looking into the large quarter size hole in the egg and I see that the lining of the egg is starting to shrink in on the chick, What should I do? I also am noticing a water blood drop on it's beak, Is this from breaking the veins in the egg? 1st time Goose hatchers here>

2. Puddle Foot Farm

Puddle Foot Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Maryland
    What is your humidity? I have heard that it does take a very long time for geese to come out since pipping.. 24-48 hours usually. If the gosling is getting shrink wrapped though, you could be in trouble and have to increase your humidity.

Chelsea

3. josmardavtom

Apr 27, 2010
    I actually don't know what it is, I don't have a humidity checker on my model. I do have a wet sports sock that I had read that is good for keeping it moist in there. I am borrowing the incubator from someone that doesn't even have directions for the machine. It is the styrofoam box if that helps any. I have been hatching chick fine in it for a while now a my hubby brought home these eggs for me to try. should I have all three holes on top of the incubator open or should I close a couple? I did open the box for a few seconds to rewet the sock. This is actually day 31, how long should I wait on the unpipped eggs to see if they will do anything. I haven't a clue even what type of goose they are. I am totally lost here. These aint chickens!! Thank you for any advice and help!!!

4. Puddle Foot Farm

Puddle Foot Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Maryland
    Geese need much higher humidity than chicks. Without a humidity gauge, it's hard to give instructions as what you should do. I would suggest trying to add a dish or paper towel of very warm water to the incubator quickly, because technically it is "lock down", when you should ideally not be opening the incubator. Can you see the gosling moving at all?

Geese can hatch anywhere from 30-33 days, I believe. If there are no pips within 2 days of the first hatch, I would candle and if nothing is happening get rid of them.

5. josmardavtom

Apr 27, 2010
    The one that is pretty dried out is opening his beak to breath. That doesn't seem good to me. I closed up two of the holes in the incubator to try to bring up the humidity, I didn't open the incubator unless it was to add water to what was already there. I will have add the hot water next to bring up the humidity some more.

6. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Take it out and gentlt start peeling small pieces of shell away and the outer membrane and make sure there is no blood. Keep removing it and don't stop unless you see bleeing.

Be very careful! If there is no blood, go ahead and remove the shell all the way around the "pipping" area, then let the gosling break free and come out on it's own. (leave the cap on)

You made need some warm water to remove any stuck membranes.

7. josmardavtom

Apr 27, 2010
    O.k. I have started to do this. I am afraid of getting it to cold so I am working a little bit at a time. It seems like all the fight is out of him. He was very loud and noisy to begin with but he and another 2 little guys are getting only so far.

8. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    pips&peeps :

Take it out and gentlt start peeling small pieces of shell away and the outer membrane and make sure there is no blood. Keep removing it and don't stop unless you see bleeing.

Be very careful! If there is no blood, go ahead and remove the shell all the way around the "pipping" area, then let the gosling break free and come out on it's own. (leave the cap on)

You made need some warm water to remove any stuck membranes.

good advice. best of luck to you​

9. josmardavtom

Apr 27, 2010
    Well, the little one didn't make it. I am still holding out hope on the others. Is it normal for a gosling to have his whole beak out of the shell? I thought it was suppose to have it inside pecking away at the insides of the shell and membranes. Is this another one that I am going to loose. This one doesn't look so dried out. I put a wash cloth with hot water in it to raise the humidity in the incubator, I am not opening it again!!! I guess if they die they die. But I have alot of moisture making things in there.
    Since there is no monitor on humitity is there something somewhere that I can by for it to tell me?

10. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by