Goslings with shaking legs

Julia1848

In the Brooder
Sep 13, 2020
Sandy, OR
Hi! I saw a similar post a month ago, but this situation seems to be a bit different.

I have two 6.5week old American Buff goslings. I have noticed that once in a while their legs will start shaking a little and then proceed to start shaking almost uncontrollably until the gosling lays down. Then they'll stand back up and walk around like nothing happened. It has happened to both of them. They spend the majority of the day walking around the yard and don't show a reluctance to be on their feet. It doesn't happen all the time, but I've seen it a few times.

I have given them electrolytes/vitamins in their water (Rooster Booster) after witnessing the leg shaking, and I give them brewers yeast as a niacin supplement. They mostly eat grass, clover, dandelions, etc. from the yard, but also have access to my ducks' feed free-choice.

My original assumption was it's a vitamin deficiency of some sort. Do any of you know more about this? Thank you!

Brewers yeast and rooster booster should be doing the trick, sometimes birds can be deficient in other b vitamins bedside niacin, like thiamine, but brewers yeast is an excellent source for that, rooster booster has vitamin E which would be the other concern if they were deficient in it.

What feed are they getting? What kind of bedding are they on? Is there anything damp or moldy they could be around? Has there been any pesticides or fungicides/ herbicides sprayed in the last few months?

You could also get b multivitamin or b complex for them. I thought I once saw someone here that had goslings or ducklings go lame even though they were given brewers yeast, but it cleared up once they were given vitamins directly after a few days, maybe it was a bad batch?

Brewers yeast and rooster booster should be doing the trick, sometimes birds can be deficient in other b vitamins bedside niacin, like thiamine, but brewers yeast is an excellent source for that, rooster booster has vitamin E which would be the other concern if they were deficient in it.

What feed are they getting? What kind of bedding are they on? Is there anything damp or moldy they could be around? Has there been any pesticides or fungicides/ herbicides sprayed in the last few months?
Thank you for your reply! They are getting an organic feed for "mixed flocks" including ducks and geese. They are on clean, dry straw at night when they come inside. We don't use any fertilizers/pesticides/herbicides/etc. on our lawn. So hopefully they'll continue improving with the vitamins/supplements! I'm hopeful since they seem happy and healthy otherwise, and they like to run and jump and chase the ducklings. Thanks again!

Thank you for your reply! They are getting an organic feed for "mixed flocks" including ducks and geese. They are on clean, dry straw at night when they come inside. We don't use any fertilizers/pesticides/herbicides/etc. on our lawn. So hopefully they'll continue improving with the vitamins/supplements! I'm hopeful since they seem happy and healthy otherwise, and they like to run and jump and chase the ducklings. Thanks again!
Hoping the best!

Back
Top Bottom