Got 2 Birds...Advice? (Lots of pics plus gross butt pic)

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by itsy, Jun 12, 2011.

1. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Hey! Ok, I got two birds. What a great experience. This farmer also keeps sheep, llama, goat, alpaca, cows, goose...everything.

He had two three year old hens set aside for me: A barred rock and a rhode island red. 3 years old - I know, I should've asked for younger. ::shrug:: I'm just too excited. I even bought a dozen eggs from him. I'm keeping these chickens away from my flock.

Anyway. The RIR has a really gross butt. It's missing feathers and it looks like her poo's been getting stuck. I'm including a photo. Her eyes are also a little watery. The BR looks fine. Both have broken/missing feathers on their backs, but I'm assuming that's from a rooster? The RIR hen also has large spurs. I had no idea females got spurs this large. As you may know, I'm pretty new to the chicken deal. Maybe three year old hens get bald butt like this? lol. Please look and let me know if she's ok to eat, or if she's sick??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edited to update: This is now the following day.......................
    If anyone comes upon this post later on.... I did it. I killed and processed the RIR. You can read about it here . I feel bad looking at her photos actually. First time processing has been tough for me. I hope the next time is easier.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  2. chickiedoo

chickiedoo Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2010
    From what I've read before on BYC it looks like she has I think Mites. I'm not sure how you get rid of them since *knock on wood* I havent had them myself. But you should be able to do a search and find some info on them. Ive heard if you look really close at the tips of the feathers where they meet her skin it should look like litte eggs.

3. itsy

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Oh great! [​IMG]

Can she be eaten with them?

4. Amyh

Amyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    North Carolina
    I have never butchered a bird, but am hoping to acquire the skills to do it soon. However, I would not eat that bird. First of all, you don't really know what she has been eating for three years. You are what you eat. Second of all, I am pretty sure I have read that three year old birds are basically stew birds. Not good for roasting because they are tough. Third of all, if she has any disease or parasite issues, you have no idea because you have only just purchased her.

5. chickenfeverforever

chickenfeverforever Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    I agree. I hate to burst you bubble but 3 years old is really old and is going t make for a very tough bird. I also agree with someone else, You have no clue what these birds have eaten or even been given medication wise. What if they were given a antibiotic a few days ago? In a 3 year window...they could have been medicated many times over. Also, the one RIR has what looks like a runny nose as well which signals to me a Upper respitory infection.

Hope you got them for free at least.

6. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    oh for heavens sake that's not mites. she could have mites many birds do, but they are missing feathers due to the rooster doing his job during breeding season . . . as evidenced by the extra white gross stuff on her bottom.

Now, are you saying you bought 3 year old laying hens to eat? If so then none of that matters, what you have are stewing hens, butcher them up, let them rest for like 5 days and then throw them in the crock pot for some awesome chicken & dumplings.

If you are keeping them to lay eggs, dust them with some 7 or give them a dose of ivermectin, keep them away from your birds for 2 weeks or so and then you have yourself some layers . . . a little old for the factories, but they'll still give you some nice eggs.

Enjoy!

7. itsy

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Argh.

He said they're wormed in the fall. No other meds. He has several birds, of which he sells the eggs.

Any other meat-people have any opinions? I'm not trying to discount those people who haven't processed their own birds, but I'd love an opinion or two from people who are regular meaties.

If I don't eat them...what am I going to do with them??? lol

thanks for all the help so far, everyone.

8. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    [​IMG] you try & try

9. itsy

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Hey Katy. Thanks.

I didn't see your post before I made my last one. If I don't butcher her until the weekend, would she be alright?

Are there any disadvantages to eating her? What could a bird be sick with that would make her unfit to eat?

Chickenfeverforever....Even if she was medicated in her lifetime - what would that matter as she wasn't medicated recently?

10. chickenfeverforever

chickenfeverforever Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Quote:The reason I am raising my own meat birds is for many reasons but one of the main reasons is, I dont what any chemicals in my meat. So it would matter to me what they have received over their lifetime. But thats me. Plus I have a horrble habbit of trusting no one and what if they had something right before you got them? I would wait 2 weeks just to be sure. I am sure there are lots of people who have either raised meaties or eaten other birds that have been medicated for one thing or another in its life, But I choose to not be one of them. Thats all. Otherwise I can just buy a store bought bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by