got 2 black sex link pullets today when should they start laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by blueseal, Nov 13, 2010.

1. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    they are 4 months old and they are cackle hatchery stock.

2. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Cackle has some great birds. Ours started at 19 weeks. That was during the summer. It is now into fall so yours might go a bit longer before you see the first egg.

3. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine started laying at about 5 months. The big black sex link lays every day. The smaller black sex link lays most days.

4. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    Mine had started laying before I got them but nothing since the move I think it is stress. And they are free range now not from the people I got them from so I am gonna take a walk in the woods maybe they are laying somewhere.

5. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    We have 5 BSLs they are great layers, they have slowed way down due to the shorter daylight hours.

6. catdaddy66

catdaddy66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Lugoff, SC
    5 months is about right but each bird is unique and may vary several days or weeks from others. Look for your hens to get really red color on the comb/wattles. Make sure a small (12" sq) opening is available and is in a dark, out of the way area to lay in. Also try to make this nest lower than the roosts so they don't try to sleep in the nests. Be sure to either a) give free choice oyster shell or b) use layer ration to provide calcium for egg shell strength. This could start at about 18-20 weeks as well. You will soon be collecting a beautiful bounty, my friend!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by