**GOT 2 Emu today 5 Months old help on if I should take them outside???**

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by 66vette, Feb 26, 2013.

1. 66vette

66vette Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2012
    the lady I got them from said she had them outside 1 time. I have them in my sun room with a 250 watt bulb and I got it set where the temp is around 80. But my qustion is I have a 12x12 dog pin covered with a dog house in it with a 120 watt bulb.I was wanting to know if I could take them out in the dog pin and let them run about 20 - 30 mins aday to start? and then if they do alright I was thanking then I could keep them out longer? it's about high in the 50s here in N.C right now? so do you thank that would hurt them to do that i just want to do what is best for them ?I don't really wan to keep them in the brooding room all the time so that my qustion?? please let me know what you thank

Thanks E I really like this website it's the best

2. fire pirate

fire pirate Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2013
    enumclaw Washington
    You should check the emu ostrich and rhea forum. Theyre tons of help there!

3. 66vette

Nov 18, 2012
    Ok thanks .I took them outside today for the frist time and man they loved it.it was so much fun watching them..it is about 60 here today I did not keep them out about 30- 40 mins.

TKS

4. fire pirate

Feb 19, 2013
    enumclaw Washington
    Exciting! I got one egg in the incubator right now Im excited!

5. 66vette

Nov 18, 2012
    What kind of inbator do you have?and how many times aday do you have to turn them? and what do i need to set the temp at?I am getting a Hovobator 2362N it holds 6 emu eggs I am going to try 5 emu eggs?Iatest 2 more so I will sale the other ones that hatch? so any info would me great??

Thanks and you are in for a real treat if you have never had any emus they are so funny..:)

6. fire pirate

Feb 19, 2013
    enumclaw Washington
    I have the farm innovators 4200 and from what i gathered they do fine as low as 96.5 but i keep it closer to 98 99 degrees. I have a goose egg and a few bantams in with it. I have been turning it every few hours like 3-4hrs apt but i guess you can turn it just 3 times a day. I keep humidity at 60 for now. Im still a noob so i think i hover more than necessary ;) there is someone i the Eugene Oregon area selling on craigslist emu eggs for 25 a piece. If this hatch is successful i may have to take a roadtrip there. Where did you get yours? I could find anyone around my area With fertile emu eggs so i ordered on ebay. I hope it is ok! First week in the bator! :-\

7. fire pirate

Feb 19, 2013
    enumclaw Washington
    How much would you sell the chicks for? I may have to get this one a buddy if it hatches!

8. 66vette

Nov 18, 2012
    Hi well frist I live in N.c and it would cost you alot to get it shipped to you it's like 240 thats just shipping? and I am gettign my eggs for 18.00 each?

Thanks E

9. 66vette

Nov 18, 2012
    Oh I am going on cristlist and look right now ANd see if someone has a inbator that is alittle better??

TKS

10. fire pirate

Feb 19, 2013
    enumclaw Washington
    Long ways for a lil one to travel! Oregon is much closer! 18 is a great price! Im excited for this hatchling to make an appearance!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by