Got 2 new chickens, made the mistake of not properly quarantining.....

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by snooptwomey, Sep 17, 2011.

1. snooptwomey

snooptwomey Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2011
    Newark, DE
    What is the realistic % that I will have an issue with this? It was probably a few days after having both new Ameraucanas that they were around my 2 red sex links that I have had for several months. And then a few other times since then. I havent noticed anything weird on the new ones, and all 4 are acting normal still, even though it hasnt been that long yet. I am just wondering how often there is actually a problem when they arent quarantined properly? They live/sleep in seperate coop's. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  2. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    You may not have a problem this time, maybe. You still won't know for a while. But why ever take a chance--if your birds die or get very sick you will feel aweful. It's better to follow the 30 day quarentine procedures. There are many stories here on BYC of new chickens bringing in a deadly something. Good luck!

3. snooptwomey

snooptwomey Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2011
    Newark, DE
    I blame it on my inexperience. I know now. wont do that again. I hope all ends up well too.

4. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    We all make mistakes; that's how experience is the most important teacher. Hope it goes well.

5. Alabama ee

Alabama ee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2010
    If they are in different coops, it might lessen it a little. When they are in the coop, at least with ours, they get very close to each other. It is like
    traveling in a car with a person that has a cold, versus someone walking down a hallway. Both could make you sick. But being closer to someone in a confined area
    there is a more likely chance. However, you don't know if the birds were sick or not. A lot depends on where you got the new biirds, were they vacinated, etc. At this point, I try not to worry too much. If after about 30 days or so, no one gets sick...I would not worry at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by