Got 2 possums in one night

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by sheila3935, Sep 14, 2011.

1. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    The night before last my neighbor called to say a possum was in her coop eating eggs when she went to put her chickens up for the night. She ran in the house to grab her gun and when she got back it was gone. We looked all over for it and never found it. Last night she calls and says her dog had the possum, it was still alive, barely and her gun jammed, so DH took his over and finished it off. A little later my DD's boyfriend came in and told us our dog Maxx was acting weird. Sitting on the back porch staring at something, so DH goes out and there is a possum in our yard. He quickly dispatched that one. Hope thats all of them but I doubt it. Thats 3 so far this year but no losses. Hope our luck holds out. We have been beefing up security on the coops and runs just in case.

2. StupidBird

StupidBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    How bizzare. DS just came in - he'd decided to sit on the shed steps to smoke (so the smoke wouldn't blow in the windows) and a possum just walked by the bottom of the step. He shoo'd it away, but said it wasn't very alarmed.

So THAT's why on nights the feeder is always almost empty if the bottom / people door isn't shut at night. Oops.

3. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    I've seen possums at dusk more than once in the back where the chickens are (after they are safe in the coop). They never seem very concerned about me. Unless I walk toward them, that is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by