Got 3 New Runner Girls Last Night...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Darkjeweler, Sep 25, 2011.

1. Darkjeweler

Darkjeweler Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2011
    Sanford
    And this morning I have eggs.. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

More pics https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/BO1ixiEpy1sDozjt7V5a2xb627JN1rPZzu-1mUCku6k?feat=directlink

The
    new girls are a bit dazed and confused. They are not sure what to make of the new human that all the other ducks run to or the new space. They are really keeping their distance, which is fine. They were raised with about 40 other ducks and the owners did not play with them. Looks like I have my work cut out for me. But they are pretty little quackers. Oh and as a bonus, the seller tossed in 15 guinea keets for free.. lol..

[​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:they are all precious, love the fawn and while runners. My new girls are thnking I'm the axe murderer too, but even after i had to clip their wings last night they didn't act anymore scared of me than they did before, but hopefully both of us will be able to win ours over. they are warming up nicely to the meal worms I toss out.
    wow that is alot of guines keets.

3. Magic Birdie

Magic Birdie Overrun With Chickens

May 3, 2011
    Magic Birdie land
    The little babies are so cute! [​IMG]
    The new ones are nice, too! [​IMG]

4. ChickInDelight

ChickInDelight Never an Empty Nest

Apr 27, 2011
    Browntown, VA
    What? They laid thier first day with you? They love thier new home! [​IMG]

5. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    They are lovely...

3 ducks... and 15 [​IMG] keets. They are cute I guess- but giving 15 away- they must really need to downsize the number of birds they have in a hurry. Sounds liek you got an excellent deal.

6. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    So cute!! [​IMG]

That reminds me. I need to snap some pictures of my Runners and Guineas!

7. Darkjeweler

Aug 16, 2011
    Sanford
    Quote:Well, these 15 keets will join the 8 teenagers I already have.. Started out with 12, but things seem to think guineas are tasty. (the guineas free range all day long. the ducks stay in the enclosure for now)

8. Darkjeweler

Aug 16, 2011
    Sanford
    Quote:Well, they came home with me around 9pm.. Then I pestered them in the yard for a couple hours.. Actually caught each in turn and petted them for a few min before releasing them back to the group.. But darn these girls are hard to catch.. All my other runners are like "waddle, waddle, waddle.. Ok, we give up just pick us up and get it over with". I am not making it a point of chasing them around the enclosure, I just wanted to show them that I was not going to bite?

The eggs were laid right in the open. Very easy to find. I will be having my very first duck eggs for lunch today.. Scrambled.. Hope I like duck eggs.. lol..

9. Darkjeweler

Aug 16, 2011
    Sanford
    Quote:Yes, he is downsizing. It is the end of the season here and he had like 150 keets. He only wants to keep 20 or so to winter over, so if I had wanted more, he would have stuffed the box full. lol..

Most people don't want to buy them in the fall since the bugs start going away soon, however, it is better to get them in the fall and raise them on feed over the winter (they don't eat much). That way when spring comes around you have full grown guineas going after the bugs. If you buy keets in the spring, then you have to wait a month or two before they are just big enough to free range alone. You can let them free range earlier, but the smaller they are the more critters like to eat them.. Besides, a full grown guinea can eat over 1200 bugs a day.. I would rather have the guineas than the bugs.

Oh, and should I mention that all the birds together set me back a whopping $20? [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Yes, he is downsizing. It is the end of the season here and he had like 150 keets. He only wants to keep 20 or so to winter over, so if I had wanted more, he would have stuffed the box full. lol..

Most people don't want to buy them in the fall since the bugs start going away soon, however, it is better to get them in the fall and raise them on feed over the winter (they don't eat much). That way when spring comes around you have full grown guineas going after the bugs. If you buy keets in the spring, then you have to wait a month or two before they are just big enough to free range alone. You can let them free range earlier, but the smaller they are the more critters like to eat them.. Besides, a full grown guinea can eat over 1200 bugs a day.. I would rather have the guineas than the bugs.

Oh, and should I mention that all the birds together set me back a whopping $20? [​IMG]

Good deal indeed. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by