Got 4 chicks that are now 7 weeks old and I think 2 are roosters

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rjnicholson70, Aug 14, 2014.

1. rjnicholson70

rjnicholson70 New Egg

Aug 14, 2014
    Franklin County Virginia
    Can I have 2 roosters and only 2 hens? Can I even have 2 roosters? They are brothers and have been together from day 1. I was hoping for 4 hens but that was not in the cards. They are black copper marans.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  2. mellcrowl

mellcrowl Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2013
    You can have two roosters, but you'd have to have more hens. I keep one rooster for every 8-10hens. Although you can get away with three in a flock of 20 birds if they are especially docile cocks.

The thing to really ask yourself here is "Do I even need a rooster?". If you are not free ranging or breeding then the answer is no. You don't need a rooster for your hens to lay large, delicious eggs. They just won't be fertile.

I would say that, unless you plan on getting more hens rather soon, it may be in your best interest to rehome/cull at least one rooster, if not both. Sorry about that. Hopefully you can find a good home for him/them.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Usually, its not a good idea to have only two hens for two roosters. The roosters will overbreed the hens, pull out feathers, and make their lives miserable. Ideally, you want to have at least eight hens per rooster. To keep both roosters, you would probably need at least 15 hens, not two.

If raised together, roosters will usually get along. Even if not raised together, roosters can become used to each other and rarely fight. Some people raise roosters all together in "bachelor pens". If kept away from hens and given a chance to establish pecking order, most roosters are peaceful.

4. LovemyBabies

LovemyBabies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2012
    Marysville,Washington
    2 hens for 2 roosters means they'll fight a lot - you figure the 2nd in command wants a little action too - so not wise- plus you want more hens they pick their favorites and wear the poor girls out- we have 4-7 in some of ours the roo will still go mainly go after certain ones

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    My advice is to keep as few roosters as you can and still meet your goals. It’s not that you are guaranteed to have problems with more roosters, just that you are more likely to have problems. The only reason you need a rooster is if you want fertile eggs. Everything else is just personal preference. Many people are quite happy having flocks of pure hens that free range and others wouldn’t think of having a flock without a rooster, whether they free range or not. Since your initial plans did not call for any roosters, it’s quite possible your goals do not require roosters, though I know they have personalities and some people get really attached to their roosters. Your goals can change.

I also don’t believe in magic numbers for hen to rooster ratio or anything much to do with chickens. Each of us are unique in many ways. We have our unique chickens with unique personalities and flock dynamics. We are unique in our set-up and space, climate, management techniques, and goals. I’ve had more problems with good hen to rooster ratios than what most people consider bad ratios. Still, two roosters to two hens is really walking a tight rope. You’d have to be real lucky for that to work out, especially during their adolescence. About your only hope would be to keep one or both roosters separated from the hens. I would not even try.

Good luck however you decide.

6. rjnicholson70

rjnicholson70 New Egg

Aug 14, 2014
    Franklin County Virginia
    Thank you all for the wonderful advice. I didn't really want a rooster at all but since I am free ranging them it will work out. Now I am off to get more hens lol!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by