Got 4 new chicks (bantams) from TS yesterday, 1 not eating

Mommysongbird

Crowing
12 Years
Mar 17, 2011
Small Town, Virginia
What to do??

We got 4 new bantams yesterday at Tractor Supply, they gave them to us to replace the 4 we lost over the weekend, only had them a few days.

One of the bantams is smaller than the others and seems to be having a hard time finding the water dish. I have been dunking it's beak in the water every 30 minutes to an hour. It will drink and then dip it's beak a few more times, but it is not walking good, kinda stumbly and its not eating. I just mixed some electrolytes for them and have dipped his beak a few times already. What else can I do??? I don't want to loose this one too, this is the last batch of chicks that TS will have for the season.

Last edited:
have you tried making it a warm mash of yogurt and feed? It looks weak. i'd try and feed it that. Is the brooder warm enough? How did you lose the previous chicks?

have you tried making it a warm mash of yogurt and feed? It looks weak. i'd try and feed it that. Is the brooder warm enough? How did you lose the previous chicks?

Okay, I have some yogurt, I will try that.

The brooder is warm, and I have them in a smaller brooder since it is just 4 of them.

Not sure how the others died?? They just died. I thought it was pasty butt, but their little butts were always clean.

Any one else have any ideas???

What should the temp be in the brooder? I have never lost any chicks til this year and we have never (after our first brood hatch 2 years ago, used a thermometer in the brooder).

Have now placed the small chick in a little container with pine chips and a rolled up towel and is under the brooder light. Tried again to get it to eat just some warm yogurt, ate just a bit by dipping it's beak into it.

Sorry, I was out of reach. The immediate temperature under the heat lamp should be 90-95 degrees, and cooler at the edges of the brooder. Food and drink best not placed directly under the lamp.

Are the chicks ok?

If the brooder temperature is right, and you have chick feeders/waterer, and If they were eating and drinking when you first brought them home and then stopped, perhaps there is something affecting them - are they in a room that has like bags of fertilizer or other products that may leak fumes? Or are we sure they are on pine shaving as opposed to cedar, which irritates their lungs?

If all was set up well, but they never ate or drank at all, then they may have been on their way out from where you bought them already.

I hope they are ok!

Back
Top Bottom