got 7 Barr rockers from Rural King worried they arent all Pullets....

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ladyearth, Feb 23, 2015.

1. ladyearth

ladyearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    kentucky
    got them on the 10th so they have been here 13 days. I know they started getting in their Chicks on the 3rd....Rural King
    several people on the phone said they were pullets. well got there and I zoomed to them
    what concerned me that a sign said straight run $1.99 close to them.. called this to the attention of lady sales associate. she sid Na just put the sign up so when they got the st runs in the signs would be up////
    Of course the main sales people had left for the day.I still have that bad feeling....
    I AM going to be PO big time..... if some are Roos....
    cause last year bouht SR from local lady who got them from Hatchery days before
    I ende up with one girl out of six.... Pitiful
    so that why we drove the 50 mile each way to get the chicky girls....
    They are wild and crazy. only 3 have tail feathers.....so far....
    I was upset giving away all but one of my roos last year... They were my Babies....
    I still would like to mark them somehow
    Just being a worry wart..... thanks yall

2. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    You'll have to post pics to get any help.

Remember that hatchery BR's don't necessarily follow the rules, BUT typically girls will have black wash down the front of their yellow legs, and their white head spot is crisp and more round looking.

When they feather in, the girls will stay a bit darker, more black with white bars while the boys will get more white barring and look lighter.

Most of all, watch the combs. Male hatchery BR's will get noticeably bigger and redder combs fast...but some of the girls can be quite precocious as they are bred to develop faster to lay earlier.

If you get roo's take your receipt back to the store and tell them you want them to take the roo's and give you an exchange.

Good Luck.
    Lady of McCamley

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Agreed. Trying to ID chicks without a picture is like shooting in the dark. Hopefully you can post some pics for us to look at.

4. ladyearth

Nov 23, 2013
    kentucky
    yeah, i know about the barrring since I raised 6 well two died last year. ONLY one girl out of whole bunch
    but the tail feather is disturbing. only 2 or 3 with prominant tail feathers. They are wild.... glad they are healthy so far
    As for taking back it is 5o miles one way.... and by the time I can really tell, Chicks days will be over...[​IMG] Now if I can only get My Only Grown Baby Girl from the first batch mentioned above...WELL///
    thanks

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Photos would help.

6. ladyearth

Nov 23, 2013
    kentucky
    yeah if i can get the sillybutts cuties to hold still
    plus cant tell but couple apart.
    BABY GIRL,baby girl...almost 1yr old barr rock is needing my attention also SO CONCERNED WITH HER SHE IS IN BAThROOM FOR 3 NITEs NOW. VET GAVE HER BAYTRIL INJECTION....
    who is getting little attention, is my other almost 1yr old also, are the other 2 hens and ROO ROO

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  7. ladyearth

Nov 23, 2013
    kentucky
    jut let yall know they are all girls.. forgot to report back thank yall wild girls too......

8. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I'm glad to hear that. :eek:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by