IMG_4700.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4697.JPG
    IMG_4697.JPG
    335.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4698.JPG
    IMG_4698.JPG
    287.3 KB · Views: 5
I thought doubles were longer but skinnier? This one was nicely rounded. Or am I wrong? This is my first flock so I'm still a newbie :)
It just depends on the bird really. There aren't MANY set rules in chicken keeping. I even have a two year old HEN that crows! :p

I think the record was 9 yolks in one egg. :eek:

@tweetzone86 - let us know if its a double yolker!

Same here @EggSighted4Life
ran across this pic the other day, 104.1 grams = 3.67 ounces! :eek:
View attachment 1578840

I'm torn, because I've been keeping the smaller eggs and selling the bigger ones. By that, this one should go in my sell box. BUT I can't hardly close it so...I MIGHT keep it.

My grandma bought a dozen and I gave her my last two doubles (long and skinny so pretty obviously doubles). She jokingly said that this one is hers lol, but she may let me keep it :) Since not all of the eggs are up to larges yet, I've been selling the doubles I get to make weight.

But I really, really, really, really want to keep this one...what a dilemma...

Wow, fresh eggs sell for $5/doz here ...
Market ones run $3 - $5, on sale (med) 3doz/$5, (leg) 2doz/$6

I can imagine. When we visited Hawaii milk was $8/gallon and all groceries seemed to be outrageously expensive compared to north Idaho.

I don't do organic feed because I can't afford it, and my birds are cage free but I can't free range them unless I'm outside to keep the cats and hawks away.

I saw cage-free large brown eggs in the organic section of my store yesterday and the cheapest one was $3/dozen and it ranged from $3 for that one to $5 for the organic ones.

I know pricing one's home-raised eggs can be tricky but I don't know rich people either ;) Since it's either my eggs or the $1.48 per dozen factory whites, I figured charging double than those would be fair. I don't think I can sell them (esp since they aren't all large sizes yet) for more than that to friends and family at least.

And though my city laws say I can have them, the HOA technically says no poultry (but it was written before the city passed that law. City law trumps HOA in this case but I'm not about to fight with my very "citified" neighbors. That being said, three have said it's ok (I did ask the immediate ones because they can see them in my yard and the one across the street because they're very very nice people) and they have said they'll want to buy eggs when they become available.

So I can't exactly "advertise" that I've got eggs for sale publicly. I did on a private fb account and on my church's fb, and I told friends and family. I only have 12 birds and we eat a lot of eggs too so I think that I'm going to sell 15 doz or so each month to break even on feed costs :)

But as for now, we're eating the smaller ones and selling 1.7 oz and up (save one person who didn't care how big they were and bought 5 dozen). Once all of them are large size, or at least 1.9 oz, then I will be able to sell more at that point.

We'll see how it goes :)

I now regret not weighing the large egg one of my pullets left last week. It was huge. About twice the normal size, normally shaped and yes, a double yolker. I ate it! :)
But I'm with @Eggcessive . Eggs that big make me nervous for the chicken. That has got to put a strain on the system getting it out.
I have my 9 chickens on 1/4 acre green pasture, they free-range for a few hours in the evening and I feed them organic, omega 3 enhanced fermented feed and I have lots of different colored eggs. I'm in upstate NY.
Votes on how much per dozen to sell them for??

It just depends on the bird really. There aren't MANY set rules in chicken keeping. I even have a two year old HEN that crows! :p

I think the record was 9 yolks in one egg. :eek:
I believe that is what I read was 9 for the record. I had a wonderful buff orpington she laid a triple yolker, the largest I ever had. I also lost the hen. She was only 2 yrs old. She had to do some major struggling to get it out. :hit

Hiccup... likely a double yolker.

They scare me after loosing a hen or so to egg binding... my largest hen egg weighed in at 104 grams. :hmm

That is indeed a beautiful eggs though! :love

I thought doubles were longer but skinnier? This one was nicely rounded. Or am I wrong? This is my first flock so I'm still a newbie :)

Back
Top Bottom